Thread: How to, and not to anchor the boat

Default How to, and not to anchor the boat

This was what I woke up to the second morning of camping out of Valdez.

There was a slight learning curve the first morning.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

that might hurt a glass I/O
    I did a AAA led for an anchor light, just so I can roll over and go back to sleep.
    I also have a bag of line to the beach. I try to pull away from rocks like that. ouch did it re float like that?

Default Moved it

We put some big logs under it as slides and with the help of my rope along we slid it back into the water. It took about 45 min. There was no damage to the boat.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Default First pic

I tied about 25-30 foot of rope from my anchor to my boat. I then set the anchor on the bow and tied a second rope to the back of the anchor and coiled it at the shore. I gave the boat a big push out. When the boat looked to be in deep enough water I pulled the anchor off the bow with the second rope. Then I tied the second rope around a tree. In the morning I just pulled anchor and boat in.

Nice.

Been there too...

Default Fuel Leak ??

Wolfkiller:

Did you lose a lot of fuel out the back of the boat ?

My Wooldridge spills fuel out th vent (if the tank it is topped off too high) when launching on boat ramps. The steep angle you ended up on perched on the rock looks like you would lose most of your fuel.

Default yes

And after having my buddy hang off the back while runing I found I was loosing fuel when taking off and if runing bow high like in chop. I put a shut off valve in yesterday. Our boats have a vent in the front as well so the rear is redundant. Wooldrige put the rear vent in to aviod a air bubble when filling the boat. The only time I open the valve is at the fuel station. It was about 10 bucks and two hose clamps-problem solved.

Thumbs up

We use a pulley system that works really well. I'll try to describe it...

Items needed -

- long roll of line (we use about 300')
    - good anchor
    - small buoy
    - short 'tag' line (ours is about 10')

Loop the long line through the first link in the chain (a pulley here works well too)

Tie the ends of the long line together (use a trusted knot!) after going around something secure on the beach (tree/rock/etc...)

Tie the short tag line to the knot in the long line.

Have someone in the boat hold the anchor while you motor out and pull the long line taught. Try to find the deepest water the doubled long line will reach. When the perfect spot is found, drop the anchor. Motor back to shore and pull which ever end of the long line pulls the buoy toward shore. Secure the boat to the end of the tag line (near buoy), then pull opposite strand of the doubled long line. Boat will be towed out to the anchor. The knot should stop when it hits the end of the anchor chain. Then simply tie the long line off so it can't be pulled back in by the tide.

This system works great since you don't have to reset the anchor each time you need in the boat. Simply untie the securing knot and pull the boat to shore, disconnect it from the tag line and let it sit until you return. Hook it back up and pull the boat back out.

Pretty simple system really and has kept our boat floating for years.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

This is another system we just used in Tutka Bay across from Homer.
    We have a 20 foot riverboat and while setting on the beach was ok unless you wanted to go somewhere.
    Anyway unhook the anchor from the anchor line, put a large shackle on the anchor, now thread the loose end of the anchor line thru the shackle on your anchor. motor the boat out far enuf to be done w/the tide. Drop your anchor in, VERY important part, make sure you dont let go of the losse end of the anchor, them back towards shore, step off and pull the boat out to the anchor. tie off the loose end to something big.
    It takes a little bit of line to do this, we had about 300 feet, not a bad idea to tie on a stern line and bring it ashore as well, it makes it ez to retrieve the boat in the morning, and this stern line you can connect to the other line somewhere above high tide, so it doesnt need to be as long as the anchor line, will try to attach a pic but doesnt show well and the boat may have been tied to shore at this point,????
    Last edited by Akgramps; 03-21-2010 at 22:55.

I found this a few years ago.

http://www.neilmoomey.com/howtos/anchor_buoy/

Quote Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
    I found this a few years ago.

http://www.neilmoomey.com/howtos/anchor_buoy/
    Knots, more knots, buckets, carabeaners, pvc pipe, gheesh, i need a bigger boat. Follow prior post. use big shackle, makes good pulley, simple.

Default Not in Cook Inlet

I've tried the long rope triangulated to shore, floating pulley, etc, and it works great IF there is not a ton of crap ripping along in the tide. Off of Deep Crk, I got tired of the boat going w/ the tide for 3 weeks because the lines were clogged w/ 14 tons of seaweed, halibut carcasses, etc. Major PITA. In bays where the tide is just kind of going in and out, it is a slick method. I use a dingy now; anchor out and row to shore, dragging along a shore linke if you don't trust the anchor hold or the anchor line. That, too, is a minor PITA, but you do what you've gotta do.

I was just showing what I found...but I agree your idea is much better, and takes less stuff. Ill be doing your method on my next boat for sure.... Too bad I didn't think of your way about 4 years ago........

Default been there, too

After staying up all night sitting in a beached boat to keep fur balls out, I got re-floated at 0500. I went around the corner to camp and tried to anchor off shore, but the dingy kept blowing up in my face when I tried to launch it from the bigger boat. It was a tad windy, yes. So, tired as hell, I anchored near shore. The storm blew the boat up past high tide and we spend 6 or 7 hrs winching, lifting to insert logs under it, etc, before we got it back into the water. Horrendous workout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
    I was just showing what I found...but I agree your idea is much better, and takes less stuff. Ill be doing your method on my next boat for sure.... Too bad I didn't think of your way about 4 years ago........
    I Didnt mean to sound like an *****, what we did worked well in a relatively calm bay with a small boat, I dont know what I would do if I had to tie up in the surf, probably try to find diffrent place to park the boat.
    A mooring bouy I suppose and a dingy, once again I need a bigger boat. Damm!!!
    The trip to the ocean is a once a year event for us. I had too winch the boat off the beach this last trip as well, Tide was going out and I kept checking the boat and pushing it out, then I got engrossed in fixing the coleman stove and next thing you know, you got it.........high and dry. The tide never sleeps.....I wouldnt have cared a whole bunch, cause of my own stupidity I could spend the day at the cabin. But needed to pick up my wife at the airport, so I was glad I brought the winch along.

Default Offshore anchoring

I'm new to the forum, thought I'd offer my thought. I carry survival suits and consider it practice and even fun to utilize it for anchoring. I tie a land line then motor out and don the suit and swim in. Makes you a lot more familiar with the suits when you need them and I often get the new fishing partner to do the swim, great pictures, everyone looks ridiculous in a survival suit. They truly are completely safe.

wolfkiller I have been parked almost the exact same as a kid in Valdez when my dad did the anchoring. I am a firm believer in a dinghy even if it is just a cheap walmart special. I am sure all those other systems work just fine but they seemed to add more stuff to bring and still left a bit to chance plus the kids like playing in the dinghy.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    wolfkiller I have been parked almost the exact same as a kid in Valdez when my dad did the anchoring. I am a firm believer in a dinghy even if it is just a cheap walmart special. I am sure all those other systems work just fine but they seemed to add more stuff to bring and still left a bit to chance plus the kids like playing in the dinghy.
    Unless you dont take a anchor or line there is no extra gear required. A dingy would be handy at times. but heck a flat bottom river boat is a dingy to some folks

Default Dingy

Anyone ever tried using an air mattress for a dingy. I've thought about it since they work on lakes but if I had to catch my boat from say leaving the seen. I'd wish I had a raft instead.

Okay, I deserve what ever responses are posted.