Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks Trapping

Default Fairbanks Trapping

Hey Guys,
    I am moving to Alaska from NH and I have been a trapper for six years now in NH, but I am curious if there is a book out there that could help me out for trapping for Lynx and Wolves, there are none of these critters where I live and I would love to try to trap a wolf or Lynx while at school in Fairbanks.

Default Books

First let me welcome you to Alaska, your adventure is just begining. A good resource for books is the Alaska Trappers Association. Go to their website and you will find many resources. Alaska Dept. Fish and Game also has some good information on trapping as well as the regulations.

Mac

You may want to purchase the alaska wolf trapping manual and DVD that is available thru the Alaska Trappers Association. It is a excellent guide to wolf trapping. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info, I dont know if any of you guys trap in the area of Fairbanks but how are the Wolf/lynx populations? I dont have a clue yet as to how hard it is getting and finding a place to trap around the city but I will be bringing my snowmobile with me hopefully that may open more areas up to me and if need be I can travel a ways to find a spot? Do any of you guys call and hunt wolfs? I do alot of fox and yote hunting here in NH but I am sure hunting wolfs is a completley different ball game.

I have never trapped the Fairbanks area but I know of quite a few guys who do. Another resource is trapperman.com in the wilderness section you will learn quite a bit about wolf and lynx trapping. You will also get an idea of the different customs surrounding "ownership" of traplines here. You will find it is quite a bit different here than where you live, you don't want to step on any toes.

When you get out of fairbanks keep driving about 150 miles or so then you'll be not stepping on my toes.

Give me a break AKtrpr. THat has to be the most ignorant comment that I heard on here in a while. Was it not you that was looking for a area to trap and was all butt hurt, because someone posted the pull outs on the steese. He was just asking a question. There are lots of area to trap in fairbanks. It will be a challage to find a long line, but there are tons of short ones.

Default Trapping around FB

I have trapped aroudn Fairbanks. Within a 50 mile drive there are PLENTY of options.. all you have to do is get out there and have fun. Dont forget beaver, and river otter (my two favs)

Quote Originally Posted by AKtrpr View Post
    Care to talk about it in person swampass?
    You have to come up with something more origianl than swampass. I would expect more from you. To make a comment like you said was just stupid. to tell someone that they have to go 75 miles out of town or you will be "stepping on your toes" is just crazy. 75 miles and you are almost at eagle summit. There are tons of area to trap there. A person might have to work at, but it is doable. Instead of trying to discourge someone you should help them. Trapping is a dieing breed and WE as trappers need to support someone. I'm not saying that people need to give them there secret spot, but a little help is great. We were all new to trapping at some point in time. We all need to support and not discourage. If we all don't help out, trapping will be outlawed. If you don't think it can happen look at states like Colorado and California.

swapdonkey, good for you! I agree. If some of the guys out there put half as much effort into helping new folks they would probably find themselves much happier folks with not as many problems. AkTrap, I recall you having your own troubles.....Instead of telling him where he CANT trap, why not take a moment and show him how and where.....

I find your comment to AkMud very intriguing after the comment you just stated here! It's trappers like you that give the rest of us real trappers a bad name.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=40999
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

i think I'd like to take up trapping in FBK now just to piss off AKtrpr.......
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

AKtrpr, you've been caught with your pants down. LOL Great spot Huntress!

onehook, you could heed some forum advice and......
    just set it, If you are in an area that someone else is trapping then you'll know soon enough, if its public land then you have just as much right to be there as they do.
    LOL

This is almost as funny as....
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=21709&page=3

Huntress I'll thank you to mind your own business.... Ive probably laid more steel and trapped more critters then you'll ever will, by the way trappers like you that but into others business tha doesnt concern you, reall chafes us real trappers that actually get out and trap, so KMA.

wow, AKtrpr, you're a piece of work....first you step on your own schlong then you accost the one who points it out......

why don't you take it like a man and admit you were acting like a pisser and move on....Hunt seems like twice the man you are....

the attitude you are expressing is making you look like a dumb arse...lol...I can hear the laughter now of all those that are laughing and shaking their heads at you...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I'm glad this is on an open forum, it makes it everyone's business.
    It has nothing to do with how much steel or critters you have caught when you don't have ethics.

Enough said.

Huntress I'll thank you to mind your own business.... Ive probably laid more steel and trapped more critters then you'll ever will, by the way trappers like you that but into others business tha doesnt concern you, reall chafes us real trappers that actually get out and trap, so KMA.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

WOW! A real gent on our hands..... I am with you TJ lets start up a line in fairbanks and see if we could, ahhhhh, never mind this guy isn't worth our time. I guess true colors come out every now and then. To bad people like this exist in this state. Got to be a transplant from florida.

ONEHOOK; Good luck in your endevers and don't let people like AKtrpr keep you from enjoying you time in the woods, plenty of room up here for all.

Curt

OMG I am trying to be a nicer person now. But 30 yrs ago you did not come within 10 miles of an estabilshed line. If you did you would get maybe a warning and then if you persisted you might just dissapear in to the bush. I now wonder who died and made this newbie god?? Aktrpr I doubt you run a very longline living in Fairbanks.....try the bush for that!! and you are so young lol. I am sure you will not rant on me but that ok..

Nope hotcity, he likes picking on the "girls"

He knows little about this woman though, it shows in his attempt at an attack.

Onehook, no worries, there are plenty of us here that would be happy to give you valuable pointers, folks who care about the future of trapping. Many who have been at it for many of years. I haven't trapped the surrounding areas of Fairbanks in many years but I can assure you, there are places to trap that have not been touched since I left.

Quote Originally Posted by hotcity2 View Post
    OMG I am trying to be a nicer person now. But 30 yrs ago you did not come within 10 miles of an estabilshed line. If you did you would get maybe a warning and then if you persisted you might just dissapear in to the bush. I now wonder who died and made this newbie god?? Aktrpr I doubt you run a very longline living in Fairbanks.....try the bush for that!! and you are so young lol. I am sure you will not rant on me but that ok..

Oh heck I just read 150 miles from Banks..Himm that is a 300 miles diameter. Let me know cuz you are the GOD of trapping..I guess you do not work then another job. Tell me how many sno goes do you run to keep up with all those traps? cuz one will not due. Gee how much bait do you use? how many traps do you get out for such a line? Do you run the rivers? How do you get around the overflow all the time cuz with that many miles you certainly cannot wait for it. I must now worship you for you are the NEW trapping god of ALASKA ROFLMAO...NOT!!! Do you belong to the ATA? Not sure if you know what that is however...

To All,

For a topic that I originally tried to be funny about 150 miles w/ onehook. Ilet peoples comments get under my skin.

I dont need eveyone raining fire & brimstone down on my ass.

So I would like to say I behaved like a jerk & a jackass, and would like to apologize to evderyone concerned......

And especially Huntress I offer my "humblest Apology"

AKtrpr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast