Thread: maiden voyage

Default maiden voyage

hey guys, took the boat out for the first time (seriously down the river for the first time in our first boat) last weekend down the chena river. we lauched from the launch by glass park near the front gate of Ft.wainwright. was quiet the adventure, we managed to ground out a couple times, once when i had slowed down to try to enjoy the scenery, another time when we managed to hit an island that was just under water in the middle of the river. both times upon grounding we could hear a few rocks under boat and some go through the pump (inboard motor w/sd-309sd pump). after getting back into the water it would seem that we would have problems developing thrust. so we would try to get to the side of the river and figure out what was wrong. id hop off and play around with the bucket. but not sure what was happening, eventually the thrust would return. as i think back, it would almost seem as if the impeller was cavitating, maybe due to rocks/mud blocking the intake. i guess me question is, when lack of thrust occurs, and its due to blockage and or cavitation is there a quick way to clear it through a tool or operational controls (throttle/steering)? im guessing this is where having a stomp grate is nice to have, our boat does not have one, and was wondering if they are available aftermarket.
    ty
    sevenmag

A stomp grate will help you out on that. I don't have one, so I carry a big long flat head screwdriver to clean out the grate. When you get stuck, I recommend always inspecting the grate before you push off. One rock, piece of trash or some mud can take all your thrust away.

The Chena has a lot of grass clippings in it during the summer, many times just shutting off the engine will allow the grass to fall out, on re-start you will again have thrust. Of course if you have parked the boat in the middle of the river that's another story. And yes, stomp grates are fantastic.

Enjoy your new boat.

ty for the help/replies AKshrop / akrascal. at this point im thinking shutting off the motor stops the suction, so that foreign material may get a chance to wash or fall away from the intake. ive also heard that there is a special folding rake with a bend in it that can be used to clear the intake as well. i may have to look into that. ty again guys
    sevenmag