Thread: Sand flea skull cleaning

Default Sand flea skull cleaning

A friend bought me a bait bag at B&J's. I threw my fresh bear skull in it and tied it in the top of my shrimp pot, and in two checks it really quite clean. It also caught the most shrimp both pulls. I put it in a bucket of water today to let the little thats left come off through maturation. I'll post a final pic when it is complete. I have a bunch of skulls in my freezer that are going out with me next time.

Good old sea lice work every time

I thought about doing that but I don't go out shrimping. Is their one of you guys that would be interested in taking some extra skulls.

I have thought about doig this, too, but have bee cocerned about losing the teeth. Any problems with that?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Did not lose teeth

I think on a fresh head the teeth will not fall out, these didn't even loosen. I had done a wolverine years ago but layed it on the bottom and the silt got into the bone pores and it was permanently gray. I tied this into the top of the pot and no silt stain at all. I have many other skulls I am taking out next time, it seemed to be really good bait. I have a nasty sea otter skull I picked up, I was going to tie the skull closed with dental floss and put it in a ziploc with small holes punched in it to allow the fleas in. After another trial run I might be interested in putting some down for other people. Heres a ziploc that had bait in it and small holes.

Never thought about the silt filling the pores. That is good to know. I like your idea of hanging the skull up off the top of the pot in the mesh bag. i think I will give that a try.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Remember that if you took the bear in an area where it needed to be sealed to keep the seal with the skull. If F&G pull your pot to check if it legal you want them to know the skull is legal also.

Default sea otter skull...

not sure, but i think you need to register a found skull with the feds, just like a walrus skull.
    they are a protected marine mammal and there are regulations pertaining to possession.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default better than raw

I did the same thing with my first try it came back with atachment tendons still there and stained with silt ,the next one I boiled 1 hr. and hung it from the seal ,on the inside of the pot , the teeth stay and it comes up clean plus works good for bait .If you try it don't over cook it ,more than an hr. and teeth start to loosen.
    Dave

Default Sea Otter heads sealed

I got my Sea otter skulls sealed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife. They are not legal to keep south of the Baron Islands.

Dose the skull need to be sealed before you can clean it up or do you need to take it to fish and game with all of the meat and what not still on it?

Just take it to F&G with the meat and everything still on it. You only have so many days to seal the skull I think so you wouldn't really be able to get it clean before needing to seal it with F&G.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default Finished skulls

I let the sand fleas work first then finshed these with two months in bucket of water (maturation). Then one month in a bucket of lacquer thinner, let dry and put teeth back in. Painted with elmers water mix. Not much work, a little nasty changing water. I think next time just a few at a time would be better. I am caught up now, Did three bears, seven beaver ,marmot, otter, wolverine. I lost some pots last fall with quite a few skulls in them so there is that risk. Here are some pics of final result.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default A few more pics

Here are some more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Very nice!

Nice Job TB! Those sand fleas do a good job!

Default lacquer thinner?

what does the lacquer thinner do?

Default Lacquer thinner

It removes all the grease from the pores of the bone, and removes bad smell once it evaporates. The bucket will have a milky substance below the thinner when done, its the grease. Mine was about 2" deep so keep the skulls off the very bottom.