Thread: Sitka

Question Sitka

I am coming from TX up to AK in mid July (11-15). We are planning to go to Sitka. I hear the Kings are still good that time of year, as well as reds, and halibut. I was looking around for some fishing statistics on the area, but the State of AK didn't seem to offer too much, or I was just looking in the wrong spot. Can anyone let me know if this is a good time to go to Sitka or any links to fishing stats?

We just had a group of soldiers that were treated to a weekend of spectacular fishing provided by a group of fisherman. If you don't have a place to stay yet I would recommend L&M Charters www.alaskafisher.com Talk to Mike or Linda and tell them that Mike from Take a Soldier Fishing sent you! I doubt you will be dissappointed.

Mike

Fishing will be dy-no-mite in mid-July.

If you want the current and historical fish-per-rod-hour data go to this link:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Fishi...il/area_key/12

At the very top is another link to catch/effort stats that give you the running 5 year CPUE rates.

Wow, just looked at the King data. It's all fupped duck. Those catch rates are off by a factor of between 10x and 100x. ADF&G needs to get their ship together!!! There just ain't no way in hell that the Juneau catch rates are better than Sitka. NFW!!!

I'm sure the fishing will be great! Starting June 5th there will be a one halibut per day limit reduction for IPHC zone 2C, which includes Sitka, Ketchikan, All the way to Icy Bay. The only town in South East Alaska not affected by the new ruling is Yakutat. Just want to give you the heads up!

I think you will be a little bit late on the Kings. They will be around, but the best fishing is generally in June it seems to me. I used to troll for Kings quite a bit in Sitka back in the day.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by capt.k View Post
    I'm sure the fishing will be great! Starting June 5th there will be a one halibut per day limit reduction for IPHC zone 2C, which includes Sitka, Ketchikan, All the way to Icy Bay. The only town in South East Alaska not affected by the new ruling is Yakutat. Just want to give you the heads up!
    It's a very good chance it'll be overturned in the courts, like it did last year. Thanks for pointing that out Capt. Hope you get increased business due to being the only community in SE to get 2 halibut.

I guided out of Sitka for 8 years, you will be just fine. Especially if you hook up with a good captain. I targeted kings all season and generally ran 100-110 straight when i guided there. If you know where to look there are always some around.