Thread: Fresh fish

Smile Fresh fish

I am going on a 3 day flyout remote trip from Kodiak to Afognak and wanted to ask you guys what is the best way to keep our fish? I will be bringing a manual vacume pump to package the fillets. I am thinking dry ice but don't know first hand, is this going to work? Any advise would be helpful, I was going to ask akpowdermonkey, but it seems he has his hands full. thanks Jeff

Exclamation

pretty sure you will be constrained by whatever the possession limit is for whatever you are after, so that's not going to be too many fish, generally the possession limit on salmon is one limit, and for most other saltwater fin fish it is two limits to allow for overnight trips.
    definitions:
    possession limit means "the maximum number of unpreserved fish a person may have in their possession"

preserved fish means "fish prepared in such a manner, and in an existing state of preservation,as to be fit for human consumption after a 15 day period, and DOES NOT include unfrozen fish temporarily stored in coolers that contain ice, dry ice, or fish that are lightly salted"
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Find an old CO2 fire extingusher or rent a small CO2 tank from a welding shop. Vac-pak and blast w/ CO2. It will freeze your fish so you can legally keep more in possession. Do so in a well ventilated area and wear gloves (tank gets really, really cold). Make sure and tell your pilot so he can put the tank in one of the floats for safety.

good luck
    Nice Marmot.

Hey guys thanks for the advise. Homer dave I did'nt realize the reg would pertain to us. Thank you for the heads up. Chuck i love the way you are thinking, I can see this working I just hope it is within the regs. I realy appreciate the replys as i have asked the air charter guys for advise and they act like they have never heard of fishing much less camping. The cabin we rented comes with 2 skiffs with small kickers, so I ask how much fuel is usally used and I get the old " depends on how much you use it reply". It really pisses me off that I can't get a straight answer about anthing. Sorry for the rant. Jeff