Thread: Upper Ship Creek

Default Upper Ship Creek

I can't find any information on the fishing possibilities from Ship Lake down towards Arctic Valley...Has anybody had any luck or do I need to go scout it and report back (or not report back depending on how big they are...)

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngoat View Post
    I can't find any information on the fishing possibilities from Ship Lake down towards Arctic Valley...Has anybody had any luck or do I need to go scout it and report back (or not report back depending on how big they are...)

Thanks.
    That area is Part of Elmendorf Air Force Base and Fort Richardson

You need thier permits and to check in with the AP's and Mp's

I think you are of if you start hiking from the Arctic Valley ski area. I have not heard from many people on how the fishing is back there.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Smile upper ship creek

I was looking at travelling in from Ship pass...you miss the bases. It is Fort Richardson on the lower side. I just know there are a bunch of beaver dams and beautiful looking pools up there...

I miss the alpine fishing of Montana. I don't mind a long hike for a little fishing. We lack good alpine lakes here due to glacial silt. I have found a few nice local lakes in the mountains. However, the search continues!

Thanks for the advise! If anybody else has any good ideas...

Check out Haugen's "Flyfisher's Guide To Alaska." There's a small section about hiking up to Ship lake in the Chugach from the Artic Valley exit. I think he says there's a lot of smallish dollies up there or something. I can't recall exactly and the book is out of the house.

Default ship lake

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out. It is more about the experience than setting records.

It is a nice mild hike to indian pass, I have done it a couple of times, but I have not gone over the pass. You might also check into Symphony lake out of eagle river for grayling, and Cresent lake on the KP for grayling, dollies, and rainbows. Both are nice hikes.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Quote Originally Posted by michigan_mike View Post
    Check out Haugen's "Flyfisher's Guide To Alaska." There's a small section about hiking up to Ship lake in the Chugach from the Artic Valley exit. I think he says there's a lot of smallish dollies up there or something. I can't recall exactly and the book is out of the house.
    The book says Glenn to Artic Valley, Artic Valley for 4.5 miles untill trailhead. It's an 8-hour (!!!) hike to Ship Lake which is "loaded" with 8-9inch dollies. Says it's a 12-mile hike through a "breathtaking valley" with brooks and beaver ponds. The author also suggests the Indian Creek Pass trail for the return trip, though you'd have to arrange transportation back to your car.

The book also suggests a lot of other hike-in fishing, a lot of which is probably somewhat "alpine' in nature. It's a pretty amazing resource, even if you use spinning tackle. I think you can buy it off these forums. I got it at Tidal Wave in downtown for around $33.

Quote Originally Posted by michigan_mike View Post

Also, you may wish to check out the hiking forums to see if those passes are even open. I suspect they probably aren't yet, but I really don't know.

It is 6 miles from arctic valley trail head to the pass, and the pass is open, but a little muddy.