Thread: Fairbanks in November

Default Fairbanks in November

Considering hunting for moose in November in the Fairbanks Mgmt. Area. Never hunted this late in the season but then again I put my gun away and took up bowhunting this year. Still hunting. Would like to hear from anyone who's ever done it and what challenges they faced. Thanks.

Default That's easy...

the biggest challange is I've spent a lot of Thanksgiving days at -40! The coldest I've shot a moose in November in Fairbanks was about -25 which made for a quick skinning job. Your bow will probably tend to shoot low at colder temperatures. Make sure you draw your bow back a few times if you are out in the cold for prolonged periods, like if your walking or driving trails on a snow machine. You don't want a nasty suprise the first time you draw your bow.

Good luck and stay warm!

Default thanks for the input

Thanks for the info AK145. I was up there earlier this year scouting around and really like the country there. (not nearly as swampy as the peninsula) Long drive from Soldotna but well worth it. Good Luck to you as well.

honestly, I'd tell ya to save your gas money! Rarely does anyone shoot a bull. There are a few people who get lucky.

I've ran into a few bulls and darn near got a really nice bull last year, however it's been 10 years now and I've only killed ONE bull in the management area in the regular season and ZERO in the late season.

I know very very few people who do shoot animals in the management area other then cows and even that hayday hunt is really over. In the past few years the numbers have rapidly gone down, based solely on mine and my buddies observations.

Almost all they guys I know that have taken a bull in the FMA bow hunt are off of a cell phone call from a friend or family memeber that knows they can take one with a bow and they get a call that goes like this, "theres a bull in my yard hurry up and get over here and kill it". Thats the most common way to success in the FMA. Not to bust anyones bubble but to search around in the cold looking for one in Nov is not highly successful.

Default Evan...

Replied to your PM...I think it went through.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Almost all they guys I know that have taken a bull in the FMA bow hunt are off of a cell phone call from a friend or family memeber that knows they can take one with a bow and they get a call that goes like this, "theres a bull in my yard hurry up and get over here and kill it". Thats the most common way to success in the FMA. Not to bust anyones bubble but to search around in the cold looking for one in Nov is not highly successful.
    Man I wish we could do that in anchorage. Isn't using cell phones in hunts illegal?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Dont know, never been lucky enough to get their in time for one of those calls. But if your sitting in your house and you call me on my cell phone and say where you at, I say, I am Lowes and you say haul butt and come over to my house theres a bull in the yard and you do. I dont see how it could be.

Default Illegal

Using any electronic communication device that aids in the taking of game is Illegal in the state of Alaska! Look it up.

Rich

Default extreme cold and bows

We're using stickbows here, osage and bamboo, and hickory and bamboo, and they don't like the deep cold. I imagine the glass bows and compounds do better. Like AK145 said, be sure to give the bow a few warm-up pulls prior to shooting. Easy to break one just pulling it back when the wood is cold.

Richard AK Res I think your pushing the legal envelope a little on that one. Theres been quite a few bears killed over the years in the same fashion just folks using home phones to a neighbor to come kill the bear in their yard too. Dont much matter to me, never been a part of it (unlucky I guess) .

Mark,

Ya don't need a full grown stepchild do ya? Be kind of nice to have a partner with the same kinds of mindset, or so it appears!

a buddy of mine has had some issues with finishes on his bows however that was when he left htem in his rig at work. He shot every day though all winter long outside aftework. Now he brings his bows into the shop during the day and has had no issues.

These are glass bows, not self or laminated bows. I have shot some self bows and lam bows (no glass) in the dead of winter hare hunting and haven't had issues though I don't hunt with non glass stickbows much.

Default November in Creamer's Field

Spent the last couple days in Creamer's Field looking for moose. Lot's of old sign, but more hunters than moose. I only lasted an hour this morning on stand before I got too cold. This late hunt really is a needle in the haystack thing, still nice to get out, but dang, brrrrr...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Richard AK Res I think your pushing the legal envelope a little on that one. Theres been quite a few bears killed over the years in the same fashion just folks using home phones to a neighbor to come kill the bear in their yard too. Dont much matter to me, never been a part of it (unlucky I guess) .

I never said that I agree with it. But that is what the regs say! So if anyone does, just keep your lips sealed.

Rich