Thread: Seward Habor fuel thief's... "WARNING"

Default Seward Habor fuel thief's... "WARNING"

FYI folks, I am just getting back from our Brown Bear hunting trip (unfortunately not successful on a bear, but an awesome trip in every other way.) But anyway, about 80 miles into my final destination I noticed my port engines fuel was about 25 to 30 gal less that starboard, so thinking about how it couldn’t be thief’s, I tooled around the idea that my twin engines are not performing equally, but then stopped, added 30 gal of fuel to my port side and go figure… my fuel consumption evened out for the remaining 50 miles.

This all happened sometime between 5/4/09 and 5/8/09. So FYI to fellow Seward slip owners, check your fuel gauges before leaving port, “each trip out.” The reason I didn’t notice mine is I have a switch between my two tanks and usually monitored the starboard gauge. I was lucky enough to find someone near Hinchinbrook to help us out, which I will be indebted too until I see him again but it could have been much worse.

To the ones that stole my fuel. Had you needed the fuel, I would have been more than happy to let you take it, just leave a note and replace it. If you can’t afford the boat, sell it.

None the less, even with this event, we had an awesome trip and about some of the greatest weather I have seen in a long time. I’ll post a pic or 2 as soon as I can.

Enjoy your summer…
    Tony

Default thanks

Well written, and well explained. Without going overboard you let us know what happened. Glad your trip worked out, and glad to hear there are good guys out there willing to lend a hand.

Default Slow them down?

Do they make a locking fuel cap for marine applications?

Default they do...

They are about $45 each and Seward was all out of them. I am checking with West Marine and online and will have them shortly...
    Tony

some time ago there was a spate of fuel thefts, mostly cans, at one of the boat yards here. an enterprising boat owner sugared some "bait"... he was waiting for the culprits when they were towed in the next day
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

The best thing to do is go fill up a 5 gallon gas can with a whole pound of sugar and then put some gas in it and leave it sitting out, it will be the last time they touch another persons gas can. Be sure to mark it in a way you know which can it is otherwise you might fall prey to your own trick

Dave thats a great idea! I would pay to be there when they got towed in!

Default Myth

The worst that sugar will do in a gas tank is plug the filter. It's not soluble in fuel. Better might be to fill the can with 90% water and 10% fuel. Again the filter should handle this, but the water will be surely be delivered to the engine, causing more of a hassle. Not to mention you don't waste the $ on 5 gallons of gas playing a prank!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai In July View Post
    The worst that sugar will do in a gas tank is plug the filter. It's not soluble in fuel. Better might be to fill the can with 90% water and 10% fuel. Again the filter should handle this, but the water will be surely be delivered to the engine, causing more of a hassle. Not to mention you don't waste the $ on 5 gallons of gas playing a prank!
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-a-cars-engine Read up on what sugar does to engines and I would think it would have the same effect on a boat motor

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-a-cars-engine Read up on what sugar does to engines and I would think it would have the same effect on a boat motor
    There are 1000's of articles on the internet to support or refute any single claim anyone wants to make. I read that exact article, and a half dozen others before posting. Adding sugar to the water I suggest and then topping it off with some gas would be a nice treat for a thief.