Thread: meat care during a move

Default meat care during a move

I am sad to say the Army will not let me stay here any longer. I am set to move out of here this fall. I will be moving to Fort Huachuca, Arizona. My biggest problem is moving with all the game meat I have. I have about 100 lbs of moose, a bear at the processor right now and plenty of halibut and salmon from last year. I want to take it all with me but not pay for the overnight shipping from here to there. I planned on driving out of here and have a 5x10 trailer I am towing behind the SUV to haul lots o' crap with me. I am trying to decide the best way to transport that much meat from here to there? I have an upright freezer I can bring and just plug in every night along the way (Not the preferred method) or I can put it in coolers and just keep buying dry ice. Any other suggestions?
    -tonyjoe-

I helped a friend move south and we had a small chest freezer big enough (barely) to keep all her fish and game in. We plugged it in every night. Takes quite a while to thaw out a mass of meat that big, so depending on how late in the fall you move it won't take much plug-in time: a few hours to none at all.

I drove the Alcan the wife and kids all flew with wet locks and a carry on.

Default fill it up

Make sure the freezer is full and everything frozen, apart from the boys at the border wanting to take a look, plug it in every night and don't open the top. Maybe a small generator in case you don't have power along the way somewhere.

hey Tony they hit on some good ideas,but also line the top of your meat f you take the freezer with newspapers, that way it'll hold the cold in. And btw! I grew up there at Huachuca. Both the wife and my family are still there and I sure miss the place.If you need help with anything let me know as I still know the county better than the Border Patrol Daniel

I moved up here from 4000 miles away, drove it in a U-Haul. Freezer full of deer and fish. I packed it all in the deep freeze, placed dry ice on top, layered with lots of newspaper over that. I put the freezer up against the back door with a 100 ft extention cord attached. In one week I was able to plug it in I think twice. Was still frozen when I put it in the new house.

Default Thanks

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I will be trying the freezer method that is packed full of meat, frozen jugs of water and newspaper. The trip should last about 2-3 weeks because we will be stopping to visit family along the way. I got lucky and have been extended another month so I will be leaving in September instead of August. This gives me a little bit of time to try for a caribou now.

I have contacted the border patrol and have been informed I will need a CITES permit becasue I will have bear meat and it has been processed into ham/bacon/sausages. Anyone know what Canada will charge for one of these. The US will charge about $120.00.

Lastly, anyone know about a site similar to this one down there in Arizona. I searched and found a few but nothing as well put together as this one.

Thanks again for the help and sugestions,
    -tonyjoe-

dont mean to steal your thread or anything, but is there any permit that you need if your just taking moose or ram meat across the border? i'll be making the drive next week and didn't even think about this. thanks

Default Don't use an upright feezer

Not unless you want to destroy it. I can't believe the racks would hold up to the bouncing.
    A large 100 quart cooler at moose camp, opened every day, keeps meat and milk frozen for a week. The chest freezer, filled to capacity with meat or ice should last at least that long.
    You might need to plug it in once or twice, but not more than that to go to that far. And if that doesn't sound good enough, buy some 2" blue foam board and cut it to fit around the freezer for added insulation.
    Or, I have room in my freezer and would be happy to take it off your hands to alleviate your burden.

Default CITES permit

tonyjrd,
    I will need a Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) permit for bear meat but I asked about my moose and halibut and they are ok for transport without it. I don't know about the sheep. Contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and they are the ones who will have to have issue it if needed.

Default Freezer

Ak River Rat,

Thanks for the post, I had not even thought about the racks in the freezers not holding the weight on the trip. I may end up putting the meat in cardboard boxes stacked in the floor inside the freezer and just remove the racks to stop them from breaking during the bumps.

When we moose hunt in the Arctic every Fall we get a transport permit from Beaver Creek US Customs on the return trip to Southeast. It proves the meat was legally taken in the US. It doesn't cost anything and is important if you get stopped in BC and they want to know where you got the game. I'm not sure about processed meat, but it couldn't hurt.

when i moved up here from MT a few years ago i moved 2 full-sized upright freezers full of wild game. i placed the heaviest game (e.g., fish frozen with water in quart ziploc bags) in the bottom basket of each freezer, then loaded the 1-pound packages of red meats on the shelves. i loaded both freezers into the u-haul last and left their power cords where i could easily run an extension cord from them to the nearest power outlet each night at the hotels. there were plenty of frost heaves on the al-can hwy that spring, but despite the "bouncing meat" both freezers are still running fine today.

for the border crossing into and later out of canada i was told to have my tags/licenses for each type of game physically located with the meat in each freezer. when i told the border agents i had two freezers full of game meat, the border agents neither bothered to open the freezers nor look at the tags/licenses....they simply wished me a safe trip.

Default Did it last year

and second the point about breaking the racks. I had a stand up freezer full of fish and other goodies and hauled it down here to San Antonio. I bought a small generator (big enough to support the freezer of course) and ran it in the back of the truck. I wanted to mount it to the trailer but didn't have enough room on the tounge. The weight of the fish broke the top rack of the freezer but everything else was ok.
    Traveling in september though you may especially want to get a generator for those long stretches in Canada where there really aren't many places to stop anyway and then having to find someplace with a convenient power hook-up might be a big hassle. I was most concerned about the meat when I got to the warmer temps in the L48. I didn't want the fish to be on a constant freeze/partial thaw cycle the whole time I was driving. I ended up spending the whole trip worrying about it anyway. The generator worked great and asside from a few strange glances from people wondering what the heck I was doing; everything went pretty smooth. Oh yeah, I also fashioned a crude oversized box to put the generator in while driving in the rain so it didn't cut out on me. Hope this helps.

If you have an inverter you could set it up to run your freezer while you are driving.

Thumbs up Finally finished moving

Well there is good news and bad news.

Bad new first, I miss Alaska. Arizona is just not doing it for me yet. I am sure I will enjoy the area but I can't wait to get back to Alaska and will be back as soon as possible.

Good news is that my meat traveled well all the way from Fort Wainwright to Fort Huachuca, AZ. I plugged it in every night all the way down and when I popped the seal in Arizona it was still frozen solid. I turned the thermostat down to the lowest setting and packed water bottles and jugs in all the empty spaces to help keep it cool and it worked great. I was worried about the weight on the shelves so I took all the shelves out and put everything into cardboard boxes and stacked them in there.

Thanks for all the suggestions to prepare me for the move and I will see you all on the next tour.

-Tonyjoe-

Default good to hear

Good to hear the meat and you both made it safe. Stay safe in all your endeavors and return soon.

Default Very COOL!

Pun intended
    Glad it worked out, and happier that you made the trip safely. Things sure tend to go better when a guy has a plan, studies the options, and move ahead with knowledge.
    And as always, thanks for what you do for us. Giving you advice is way easier than the sacrifices you have made. Keep in touch with your AZ activities, will you?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjoe54 View Post
    Well there is good news and bad news.

Bad new first, I miss Alaska. Arizona is just not doing it for me yet. I am sure I will enjoy the area but I can't wait to get back to Alaska and will be back as soon as possible.

Good news is that my meat traveled well all the way from Fort Wainwright to Fort Huachuca, AZ. I plugged it in every night all the way down and when I popped the seal in Arizona it was still frozen solid. I turned the thermostat down to the lowest setting and packed water bottles and jugs in all the empty spaces to help keep it cool and it worked great. I was worried about the weight on the shelves so I took all the shelves out and put everything into cardboard boxes and stacked them in there.

Thanks for all the suggestions to prepare me for the move and I will see you all on the next tour.

-Tonyjoe-

Tonyjoe,

I miss Arizona I did 7 1/2 years down their when I was told it was time to leave so i picked Alaska... Sure having fun but I miss Arizona... You are in the heart of some of the Best Couse Deer hunting to be had in Arizona. Also if you don't shoot bow probably want to take that up... Are you MI or Signal?? I have several friends over on the MI side of town...

John