Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Game Caller

Default Electronic Game Caller

I am going to start predator hunting this winter and am looking to buy a call. Does the Foxpro Jack-in-the-Box Predator Decoy work am I wasting my time with the decoy and go stright to the Foxpro FX3 Electronic Game Caller? Thanks for your help.

Mark

Yes the decoy works well, but unless you know how to hand call you will need a E caller too. I have never used a decoy myself, but I do use the fox pro ecaller. I have better sucsess mixing the to calls at the same time, hand/ecaller.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have the FoxPro FX3 with the remote control. If you are buying the very same model you will not need the decoy. Even when using a mouth blown call I usually just use a Ptarmagin wing tied too a string in which to make it flap if the wind wasn't blowing.

Default Best Call

What's the best call to use for predators? Does the rabbit in distress work good? I have the old Johnny Stewart casette tape call with the battery that's like 10 pounds but it works really well.
    Marc Theiler

Hey Marc,that set up works REAL good on lynx.I have the same set up that someone gave me and have taken 4 lynx with it so far.I use the snowshoe hare in distress.Look for some fresh kitty sign then hide and "play".They almost always come with in minutes if you find fresh tracks!Good luck.

Mark, what will you be hunting? I think that most of the time a decoy isn't a real big help for fox and coyote, but sometimes it can help. If my intent was hunting fox and coyote I wouldn't bother hauling a decoy around. If you want lynx the (any) decoy can make a huge difference. Lynx generally come in slow and they are experts at using cover. By having a decoy to draw their attention you are more likely to see them first. I feel the same applies with electronic calls, they are not needed for coyotes and fox but by placing the call away from yourself you can draw a cat's attention away from you. The biggest thing to remember is that you are hunting predators, not just calling them. Too many people plop their butt down somewhere and start wailing away with a call and expect the predators to jump in their lap (by the way, when this happens it is very invigorating). You need to enter the area quietly, be still, find the right amount of cover, figure where the animal will come from, be still, use the wind, be ready to shoot fast and be still. It takes some experience to get good at hunting predators, don't give up and learn something every time you go out.

BB1,actually I have found that lynx come in rather fast,often at a pretty good trot.I set up like you mentioned,put my speaker 50' out and have been almost run over.One time I had a HUGE red lynx run in and then stop,sit down on his hunch's and stare at my speaker.When I stood up to shoot,I quickly realized that I forgot to chamber and that lynx took off!I then sat down,chambered a bullet and started calling again and not even 5 minutes later a smaller male came trotting in and then it was all over.I have seen them hunting for snowshoes and grouse before and at those times they were real interesting to watch.They would move EXTREMELY slow and often stop mid step for quite a few minutes,like they were frozen,before prouncing on their prey.I watched a lynx one time go after a snowshoe hare and when he reached out to swipe the hare,it looked like he snagged it with just one of his nails to draw him in.I'm sure alot depends on population and also how much food is available.

Default Lynx

What kind of terrain are you guys finding Lynx in? I have been out many times and have yet to find tracks other than coyote, fox, and wolf. Is the area heavily treed, creek bottoms, mountain sides? Any advice for a novice?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I agree that most lynx people see, come in quickly. I find that about 1 out of 3 will act stupid. The other 2 will be moving very slowly once they are close and most people will never see them. Often they will sit down when they can barely see where the sound is coming from and just watch and if you move they will see you and leave. I watched one a few years ago sit down 30 yds away and not move for 25 minutes before it finally presented a shot. If you underestimate lynx the only ones you will see will be the few fast movers. Make a habit of making a circle 50 yds around your stand looking for tracks after you are done calling. You'll be surprised at the number of lynx that you never saw. Understand that this is in daylight, if you really want a lot of lynx you have to hunt at night. When the population is high I can kill 3 times the # of lynx at night as during the day.

AKMud, Terrain doesn't matter to the lynx, just look for rabitts and there will usually be lynx if the lynx pop is good. If the lynx pop is low you are out of luck unless you can find a small pocket holding lynx. How is the lynx cycle where you are at?

Default cycle

Not sure about Lynx, but the rabbits are up. I'll have to try the circling the calling area trick to see what I didn't see.

Thanks.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AKMud, if you really want lynx, hunt at night.

AKmud,I know of a few lynx that where spotted up jim creek area last spring by a friend who rides up there quite often.He said they would just sit near the trail as they rode by.I trap up near Glennallen where the cats are starting to increase in population.Sent you a pm.

Do you guys find any advantage to hunting predators in pairs? I really want to try some calling by moonlight this year, and I was thinking about throwing out a call for a partner. I'm wondering, though, if this would help (by spreading out a bit) or hurt by creating more scent. Any thoughts?

-Brian

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Hunting in pairs can be benificial at times. If you sit back to back(360 view).

Default Kenai

Anyone have any experience predator calling in Kenai?
    Marc Theiler

Talking Decoy

I havnt had much luck with the decoy thing here in alaska but i wouldnt hunt without one in Arizona. I never carried a rifle coyote hunting because with the decoy they just come charging in. Shotgun worked real well.

I hunted down towards Kenai all last winter and only called in one coyote (that i had seen). I must have made over 100 sets. I tried down off swanson river and had some yotes talk back to me on a couple ocasions but they would never show up. I had also tryed calling at night (bought me a NightForce scope mounted light) i seemed to get alot of yotes talking back but still wouldent come to me. You have to have alot of patience and be able to sit at a stand for an hour. Im heading to Kentucky next week and bringing my FX3 to try on some yotes and bobcats down there inbetween my Whitetail hunting. maybe they will call a little easyer.

Todd
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Where would be a good area around fairbanks? Also would you advise the use of treestand? I have no problem taking long shoots as I will be using a .222. I would really love to nail a lynx. How would you go about hunting at night, just use the moonlight? Thanks for so much for information.
    Mark

Default hunting at night

You can use a good full moon night to go out calling, but your vision is still a little so so. Or you can purchace a trapping licence (if you dont already have one) and use artificial light. I bought a scope mounted light from Light Force last year and tryed it out a couple times last year. it comes with a red lens (the animals are not supposed to see the red light) i haddent had any luck with it yet but it gives you alot better vision at night and if you scan with the light it really lights there eyes up and you can see them from a distance.
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast