Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got my first bear and a lot of other firsts

Default got my first bear and a lot of other firsts

So I got my first black bear last friday all on my own . Its also my first kill of a big game animal, also shot it with my bow at my first bait station and i mainly did it all on my own.
    So my site started getting hit sometime from last monday to wednesday. Sat on the sit wednesday and did not have any thing come in, so when out friday early in the morning. Did not have anything come in until around 10 in the morning, I think i spooked this bear and it left before touching the bait. Had a small bear come in an hour later that was very nervis just eat the food on the ground and left. Then nothing came in untill this one and she acted like she was right at home, so i took a couple of pic of her with my phone and then desided to shot her.

so i learned a lot from this the big thing is practice with ever peace of gear you are using. Point being i did but my face mask and when i draw my bow back i could not see anything had to reajust at full draw not the best thing.

Also just droped the hide and skull off to get tanned and the guy said that I did a great job a lot better than most he see, withturning the ears and skinning out the paws and fleshing. That all thanks to Last frontier taxidermy skinning clinic at the winter bow hunters banquet.

thanks to everbody that help me and all that i have learn just from this sit.
    Cheer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Congrats

Awesome!!!! Congrats
    "No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Thumbs up Congratulations!

Good job got1.
    Last edited by jeffin AK; 05-18-2009 at 13:44. Reason: spelling

Congrats! How was that adrenaline rush for ya?

Congrats & great job!!!
    You are now officialy one bear ahead of me
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Great job!

Doing it on your own was the trophy and the bear the bonus,congrats

Default Nice

Congrats on all of your firsts.

What is your plan for the meat? We typically make roasts out of all our bears. The meat is too good for sausage.

Are you done bear baiting this year, or are you going to try for another one?

How long did it take from the time your bait was out until your first hit?

What did you use for bait?

Are you having a rug or life size made?

Congrats again on a great experience and a fine animal.

Default Nice work

What a great experience...it's hard to beat that rush when you a see a bear coming in for the first time.....

outstanding and congrats!

Default Great stuff!

This is the stuff that makes this forum so great.

Way to go, Skip, good on ya!

Thumbs up Great Hunt

A great hunt isn't always the first one, or the one that bags the game. Just the one that is satisfying. In your case, you got the best of all of them. Thanks for sharing. Brings back memories for a lot of us. Also the reason we keep hunting. Good report, too. Make up next time instead of a mask?????

Mike

Thumbs up Having fun...

skipper....What a great, fun first-bear report.
    Doing it yourself takes committment, and I always value "true grit" and committment.

And I really agree with fullkurl....this truely is one of the great aspects of this forum.

Reading about a forum members first black bear, helping a friend with his first ram, or guiding a client-hunter to a first brown bear....these are the greatest reasons to be in Alaska!

Congrats again skipper. Did any of the info on the forum help guide you towards your success?

Dennis
    AK TAGS

That is a very nice looking bear, not bad sized at all. Great to see the fruit of your labors.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Skipper Dick...well done

Gabe told me you connected...nice job buddy!!

Hummer

Default thanks ever body

thanks ever body for your responce
    AFHunte hey is some answer to your questions.
    Not fully sure what i am going to do with the meat. Just got some of it trimed up and going to have the small peaces made in to hunter stick maybe and the the leg meat cut up. Justnee to have a friend come over and help cut it up.
    I had my bait out about ten days put it out on the 5th I think, on the kenai refuge you can't put out bait untill the 1st of may. i wish i could go shoot anougher but it is only one down here. I used popcorn mainly because it was a 3 mile walk back in to my sit. I also got some stuff from 907 baitem used a bait ball.
    No i did think i am going to have to mounted or ruged just droped it off to get it tanned today.
    Y athe rush was good but what help was seeing a couple of bear earlier that day, so i could settle down and try to make a good shot.

do have one question Y does some of the meat and fat smell bad but the leg meat and some of the other meat smell good.
    again thanks
    good luck hunting

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to be able to post something like that. Looked like a beautiful bear. Keep sharing everyone

Default Shakes

So Skipper, did you get the first time shakes? Now that is ADRENALINE! It a whole lot of fun getting your first. It had to be a lot of work getting it all on your own though. Pat yourself on the back for that!!
    You will be able to bag your Scent Ball and throw it in the freezer for next season.
    Congrats and Thanks for Sharing
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    So Skipper, did you get the first time shakes?
    You mean this is supposed to go away after the first? Great story and nice bear. Now you're hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
    You mean this is supposed to go away after the first? Great story and nice bear. Now you're hooked!
    I get the shakes everytime I see one. Even at the ZOO
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast