Thread: Question for O.T. Guide owners

Default Question for O.T. Guide owners

Just bought an Old Town Guide 147 model. This model is said to provide 'exceptional stability'. It is, by far, the most unstable canoe I've ever paddled. I have previously owned an O.T. Discovery 169, and a 17' Grumman. These were almost untippable (except when standing up, shooting a bowfishing rig ).
    I'm seriously disappointed in this new boat. We've had it out twice, and flipped it two times the first time out in it. I'm no novice, been canoeing for 36 years. Going back to the dealer and see what can be done.
    I'd like to know what your opinions are of this particular model.
    I do prefer being 'on the water' to being 'in' it.

Thank you.
    Jeff

Default Wow

I have had a Guide 147 for several years and canoe/fish/flyfish regularly with my wife, my two daughers (now 11 and 8), and the dog in it. I have the snap in "third seat' and use a sling seat for the other. We have never come close to tipping in this canoe, even in waves on windy days on Kenai Lake. Of course, there have been some squalls which drove us to the beach for it was getting too rough out for a canoe, but I've been very satisfied with the stability of this canoe. It has a wide beam and 900 pound payload, so it is not the fastest thing out there by any means, but I have always found stability its strength.

I wonder if something is wrong with yours?

-hiker

Hiker, thanks for your reply. I'm baffled by this boat. I will talk with the dealer this week, see if she'll take it out on a trial run with me. The dealer owns a rental/outfitting business on the shore of a lake, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Jeff

I've never paddled a Guide 147, but my guess is the short length combined with the flat bottom and hard chines are going to make for great initial stability but probably really lousy secondary stability.

In other words, it will be nice and stable for fishing on the lake, but once you actually start to tip you will go over in a hurry. No "forgiveness" once the gunnel gets near the water. Were you on moving water at the time?

Yk

I had a friend that had one, I believe it was the 14 ft model who had the same complaint about it being tippy that was 12 years ago, he has since replaced it with a tripper. The guide model dose not seem to be very poupler around here.

Hello there flat landah (just some maine humor for an outta statah),

If the dealer won't take your boat back you should consider a set of ethafoam sponsons. You'd want to both glue them on and periodically bolt them on using some very wide washers and nylock nuts. nrsweb sells ethafoam if you decide to go this route. good luck