Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garden progress

Default Garden progress

Well I put out half of my cabbages yesterday and started to plant seeds. It is still getting close to freezing at night so I didn't want to put out all my cabages or my frost sensitive plants yet.

How are others gardens progressing?

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Well I put out half of my cabbages yesterday and started to plant seeds. It is still getting close to freezing at night so I didn't want to put out all my cabages or my frost sensitive plants yet.

How are others gardens progressing?
    Cannot safely plant here, North of the Yukon River, until June 1st. Some of the other sensitive plants and herbs a week later. If they die from frost I don't have a store nearby to replace my plants so it isn't worth it for me. It is so easy to jump the gun when you have a stretch of nice warm weather, then to have a few nights of freezing and get wiped out. I'd rather wait.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Yes, that is why I only planted half of the cabbages. Even down here there is the possibility of serious frost. I have enough cabbage starts that I wont be able to plant them all. So if the ones that are out doors die then I have back up If they don't then I will give away the extras.

Wink Garden plants...

I have planted my toms, but cover every night with burlap.Crooked neck squash went in,zuccini,carrots beets,corn,herbs,green and yellow beans,radishes are about ready,winter squash is in.I'm just holding back with my peppers, as they are cold sensitive.Dang I wish you guys were closer.I have about 20 tomato plants with flower buds,I don't have room for.Being several hundred feet above the valley has it's benefits this time of year, and in the fall too.Cold sinks.GR

We put our potatoes, kale, and collards out. We always figure that when the birch start to leaf it is sfe to put the seeds out. The starts that can't take the cold will have to wait another two or three weeks. We are still getting some light frost at night with the days in the 60's.
    Chuck

I had frost last night I was going to put in my seeds as my soil temps are up from keeping it covered this last week and all the transplants have been out from 5am - 1030 pm this past week so maybe this weekend.

The only items I have left out all night so far are my turkeys they are only 8 weeks old and last night was thier first night out it was also the coldest night but they seemed to be okay when I let the out of the nesting box this morning.

My snap peas are in, Roamine lettuce, head lettuce and onions and carrotts. All outside now and doing fine. Started them inside but I live in west anchorage and get lots of sun too and our nights on this side of town have been ok. I have 2 apple trees doing well and god knows how many of junes baskets are kicking butt. Ill post pics as my harvest comes around
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Well all the plants went out this weekend except some of the squash and pumpkins. They will be going out as soon as we have time to plase them out. our radishes and lettuce has sprouted and even the early cabages are alive and well.

We have much garden progress here. Because of your thread, I decided to go ahead and take some pictures.

Here are my lilies:

I added some White Nancys with my lilies because I thought that they would be a good combination. I take a great deal of pride in these flowers because the husband didn't buy my favorite flower for Easter this year (Easter Lily).. instead he bought me bulbs and told me to grow them... and I did.

Here is another view of them.

Tomatoes:

Lurker.

Cali and Broc

Lettuce

Cucumbers

I also have squash, pumpkin, a small rose bush, another set of flowers (zinnias, astros, daisies) and I have one stalk of corn.
    Lurker.

Here are some pics. I have a blog with lots of pics - no one looks at it but people look here.

Oh, and I thought that some zucchini flower stalks looked like baby zucchini and some didn't. I'm so glad there is the internet to clear up that there are female and male flowers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Garden Progress!!

I am excited. It looks like this will be a good year for my tomatoes!
    Here is what I have:
    Flowers

Cucumbers

Lettuce

Broccoli
    Lurker.

Tomatoes!!!

Here is 1/2 of my toms garden

I also have califlower, squash, pumpkin, iris, one small rose bush... but I am waiting to see more results from them before posting them!
    Lurker.

Looking great, COtoAK! That's some good motivation for me. I've been laying ridiculously heavy bricks over the past couple of weeks building my first garden. (Not that many bricks, but you know...a few here, a few there...suddenly weeks have past. ) At this point I think I'm going to wait until next spring to fill it with soil, but at least the grunt work will be done. I'm really looking forward to having my first garden. Hopefully my plants will look half that nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Looking great, COtoAK! That's some good motivation for me. I've been laying ridiculously heavy bricks over the past couple of weeks building my first garden. (Not that many bricks, but you know...a few here, a few there...suddenly weeks have past. ) At this point I think I'm going to wait until next spring to fill it with soil, but at least the grunt work will be done. I'm really looking forward to having my first garden. Hopefully my plants will look half that nice.
    If I were you, I would keep working on it until you get it completed and then for next year, you can have a head start on doing your garden. Don't worry about not getting it completed quite yet. You have time. It's only early July!

This year was supposed to be the year of the greenhouse, but it will come. Instead, my husband made me a section near our house for my garden instead of over by our pond (last year's garden) which has helped with attending to it more often with a higher success rate, I think. We still need to work on getting the radiant heat out there. That will happen before summer is complete.
    Also... his focus was the chicken coop instead. Maybe I'll make an update on that thread, too.

After seeing your response, I had forgotten to take other pictures of our garden and noticed something amazing blooming!

Here are those pictures:
    We decided to try upside down tomatoes this year. This plant will be moved into my office before the snow flys.

Here is where our greenhouse is supposed to go. We did the dirt work on it before leaving for Seward last weekend:

Woo Hoo... here is what's blooming in the garden today. It will only last for less than 1 week as all of my other flowers like this did the same.
    I have been growing this amazing flower (one of my favorites) since middle of March, so it's nice to see the result of it:

Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    If I were you, I would keep working on it until you get it completed and then for next year, you can have a head start on doing your garden. Don't worry about not getting it completed quite yet. You have time. It's only early July!
    Oh, I'll have all the work done, other than filling it with soil and compost. I figure that if I fill it with soil in May that I can plant just a little earlier, as I won't have to wait for the soil to warm. It'll get a lot of heat anyhow, as the bricks in front and shed in back will soak up the sun and transfer the heat to the garden. I need 17 more bricks and an unknown number of caps, plus I need to figure out how best to cut about 6 bricks to the right size. At that point, I'll be done.

(Of course, then I also need to put windows and doors in my shed, but that's a job for BucknRut when he gets back from Michigan.)

Default Its gone

All my cabbage plant's are gone :-( thank you cabbagefly...
    But my tatters, beans, peas, strawberry, beets are doing great:-)
    So I'm looking forward to harvest time...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRam View Post
    All my cabbage plant's are gone :-( thank you cabbagefly...
    But my tatters, beans, peas, strawberry, beets are doing great:-)
    So I'm looking forward to harvest time...
    Arg! Can you use some kind of pesticide for that?
    Take pictures of your tatters, beans, peas, strawberries, and beets. We'd enjoy seeing them!!
    Lurker.

I lost all my cabbage and Brussell Sprouts as well, along with the red stem dogwood and crab apple. Oh well, mother and twins are doing well. I've pictures somewhere I'll post later.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default What a summer

Im new here but let you know about what Im doing for a "Garden"
    We are on total pit run for a yard. I have a small raised bed with oriental peas ,lettuces, and brussles, testing some bush beans this year. The peas , 5 rows 4 ft long are 3ft tall with an ok amount of flowers and some forming pods. Radishes at one end are coming fast, leaf lettuce mix is now coming on. I just harvest the greens as we need them thinning for nightly salads. I have a tray of the lettuce mix that is on its way out.The Brussles are way past where they were last year. Something is selectively taking bean leaves, just trying 6 plants.
    In pots I have one Orange blossom and an early girl tomato. they are to the tops of the cages in black pots and full of flowers with some set fruit. I still have green tomato relish from 2007 and no faith to do more this year, but they are really coming on. The deck radiates about 70-80 degrees and they are covered at night unless the temp really drops and we can bring them in.
    Biggest surprise is the jalapeno plants. I had them in a long tray getting peppers off until January. I put them in another room and forgot about them. They died ...I thought. For grins I started watering hoping for a sign of life. Two of the plants came back.They are now trees full of flowers. I try to remember to bring them in at night but so far no problems with chill or aphids.
    I've already bagged and frozen basil. It will taste almost like fresh in stew or sauce but does not look good.
    In the small decorative gardens outside the doors I had some volunteer pansies and a some marigolds ?? after last winter? My Siberian Irises now Ive had them 2 years very dissapointing. Just a couple of flowers. Im letting forget me nots go wild. Put the few remaining strawberries in pots and they are coming on just now. Corn is 3 ft high, sunflowers the same in black pots. I started them late but prayed over the seeds.
    Another surprise. I have a 4 yr old poinsetta. It flowered small flowers in Nov-Jan. I cut it back in March. All the leaves came off. Trimmed it again. And its becoming a tree all green and full. Whats with these warm zone 10 plants becoming house plants? wild.
    I'll have to get photos of my Moon Baskets - they are really looking gorgous!
    Linda
    www.alaskadognews.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast