Thread: Quarter Bore AR

Default Quarter Bore AR

I have been kicking around the idea of building a 243 or 25 wssm AR. I don't reload (yet) but I am thinking that the 243 will be the one that most likely takes hold the best. This will probably be a scratch built setup w/ a budget of 1000-1200 I am looking for the best bang for the buck. Low weight in a very portable package. I am looking at the olympic arms upper at the moment but certainly open to other options. I would really like a 20" barrel and colapsible stock in a flat top configuration

Major questions:
    which one 25 or 243 and why?
    where to buy upper?
    what trigger assembly and parts for lower?
    What tools to do a nice clean build without maring the finish?
    Good magazines for the WSSM ARs?
    Does it matter if the lower is stamped 5.56 and that is not the cal it shoots? I assume that it doesn't at least outside of commi-fornia.. I have heard of lowers being marked "multi-caliber" but don't care to pay extra for a stamp if it doesn't matter.

I keep coming back to the 6.8 Remington SPC, The AR-10 Platform is just enough heavy verses the AR-15 to go into the heavy class, once you get it fully dressed, and add a 10 round magazine. And it becomes a tank with 20 or 30 rounds on-board. The 6.8 which is .277 Caliber, seem a acceptable compromise, with it's 115 gr. @ 2,600 fps. The other nice feature is I can have a couple of .223 uppers in standby all scoped.

About once a year I order a Rock River AR-10 in .308 and and dress it in lightweight sling, 2.5 compact Leupold (Only 8 oz.) I only put 4 rounds in the magazine, and take it for a 6 mile hump, come home pick up the 6.8 SPC and then sell the AR-10. I keep trying to love it and it just keeps breaking my heart. Maybe being an old man is a factor.

That is the same reason I keep gravitating to the AR15 platform with the WSSM chambering. I like the idea of the 6mm AR or even the 6.5 grendel but I am pretty sure that 6mm AR is not going to go mainstream and I am not sure if the 6.5 is going to take off either. BUT I can get 243 WSSM right now off the shelf at SW or other dealers and go hunt. I shot a DPMS 308 and I just didn't like it, I didn't like the feel of the rifle, it didn't feel quick like a tacticle rifle should, it felt cumbersome. I want somehting that allows quick target aquisition, fast followups and is very portable, easy to carry. I like the M4 style but will probably sacrifice a bit for the longer barrel at 20" but still keep the collapsable stock. I am not sure which style collapsable though.

I'm building somthin' very close to what your after.

Major questions:
    which one 25 or 243 and why? 25 wssm bigger sep up in horse power!
    where to buy upper? http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/WSSM%20page.htm
    what trigger assembly and parts for lower? DPMS or buy complete from link below!
    What tools to do a nice clean build without maring the finish? I dunno???
    Good magazines for the WSSM ARs? See above link.
    Does it matter if the lower is stamped 5.56 and that is not the cal it shoots? I assume that it doesn't at least outside of commi-fornia.. I have heard of lowers being marked "multi-caliber" but don't care to pay extra for a stamp if it doesn't matter. http://www.anvilarms.com/pc-38-19-lo...ion-stock.aspx I bought the same lower but stripped. It reads MULTI-CAL, it is not any more $$$ and has a great fit in my bushy upper (MIL SPEC).

I'll bet if you followed this recipe you would have a great AR. You would just have to add your choice of sights/optics.

Jake

Default Keeping the thread alive

I think I am going to register one of my AR-15 lowers as a SBR, and put my 10" barreled 6.8 SPC upper on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    I think I am going to register one of my AR-15 lowers as a SBR, and put my 10" barreled 6.8 SPC upper on it.
    That sounds like it could be a pretty wicked setup!

Well my project is off to a start, it will be a slow project but at least it is STARTED. I picked up a couple stripped lowers to get the ball rolling. I will probably order my lower parts kits in the next week or 2. I am going to start with a regular mil trigger and then move to a Timney drop in down the road. I will have to do some research to see who (if anyone) has lower parts kits in stock! Any ideas on that would be appreciated. I am also looking for somewhere to order green or tan plastic parts kits (stock,grip, forend).

how easy is that to do? (if its too easy im going to be pissed i sold my 11" 5.56 upper)
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Paper work, photo's, finger prints, $200.00 for the stamp, wait, wait, wait, wait......Bingo.

Paper work, photo's, finger prints, $200.00 for the stamp, wait, wait, wait, wait......Bingo.

yeah... im pissed. I was told that you could not change a long arm into a short rifle/shotgun after you bought it, had to be "made that way from the factory". of course i was in NY at the time .
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.