Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: travel rifle cases

Question travel rifle cases

Myself and another friend are flying up to a friend of ours in Anchor Point - who's going to horsepack us in on a black bear/silver fishing trip this fall. Looking into airline travel cases. Kind of leaning towards a Pelican 1750 - can't quite seem to get myself up to paying the money required for a Tuffpak. We'd like one that would fit two scoped rifles (a Kimber 8400 and a Rem. standard action 3006 - both with 40mm bell scopes) - so we can save another luggage item between the two of us for gear. My question is, will the 1750 hold two scoped guns? Any other picks I should consider for a hard case? I was leaning toward the heavy duty plastic style ones for when I end up using it in the truck or car for non-flight trips it will be less likely to beat the h#ll out of stuff its packed next to. Anyone have any experience with Boyt's hard case?

If we fly Alaska Airlines, are we likely to get charged for oversized luggage with one of these cases due to it being over 62 linear inches (assuming we keep it under the 50lb. weight limit)?

Again, provided we meet our weight limit, is there any restriction from having a revolver or two in the same case? The airline descriptions talk about the number of rifles in a case, or shotguns or pistols in a case, but don't say anything about "mix and matching".

We're just trying to figure out the best and most efficient way to get up there with our stuff. Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Default Gun Cases

Dan W- I received a Kalispell gun case from my wife for Christmas a few years back and can tell you that it is fantastic. It is heavy but I travel alot with my guns and can tell you that it will stand up to just about anything the airlines can throw at it. I received the African safari style cases. It holds two scoped rifles and is very well made. Their web site is www.kalispellcaseline.com The cases are not cheap but neither are my rifles with good optics. Worth the investement.

Default Cases

I was faced with pretty much the same problem a few years back. I went with this case. http://www.americase.com/pages/order/at3gun.shtml. I wen to their booth at the Dallas Safari Club Show and I was impressed. With two scoped rifles and a handgun it weighs 49 pounds. Never had any problems with the linear size but airlines make new rules all the time. Heck, when I bough the case three I could carry three rifles in it because you were allowed up to 75 pounds per bag. Anyway, go with something good quality, you don't want to get here and realize that your rifles were smashed on the way up.
    As far as Pelican goes, I don't have a rifle case from them but most of my work cases are pelican and I would recommend them to anyone.

Default SKB

I believe it is SKB or SKS rifle cases. Very good cases and can fit 2 rifles, with binoculars, etc. in them. Never had them weighed with an airline and just flew Alaska air with it and didn't have any questions. Took it to Africa with us and it survived very well compared to other cases that we saw. I think we picked up at sportsmans warehouse for $140. It has a nice handle on the end and wheels so you can pull it and not have to carry it.

I have a Pelican 1750 and I love it. Alaska Airlines has never charged me for an oversize bag with it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

will the 1750 accomodate 2 moderate sized scoped rifles OK? thanks!

Thumbs up Tuffpak

I've got a Tuffpak - I think you'd really like it if you get one. It's been to Bethel and back from Dallas. I'll be bringing it up from the South 48 again this Sept with a rifle, shotgun, and fishing poles. The rifle and shotgun will be in softcases surrounded by waders and jackets.

and so far you haven't gotten dinged for oversized on the Tuffpak? If that's the case, the extra storage would take a bit of the sting out of the extra price....

According to web site 1750 weighs 25.5 lb. Can't say for sure but looks like it could "accommodate" 2 rifles. My Tuffpak weights 18 lb. I think, and in addition to rifle, it holds all my hunting cloths, boots, knives, ammo, sleeping bag and a ton of "hunting paraphernalia", in addition to being bullet proof.

any Tuffpak users have problems with the TSA inspecting and "repacking" them? Seems like there could be some risk of the guns not being properly repacked. So you can put the rifle bolts and boxes of ammo in there too?

Default To Dan W.

As far as I know it isn't possible to pack ammo and rifles in the same pack - on any airline. That shouldn't be a problem since most hunters will be bringing a second checked bag anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I believe it is SKB or SKS rifle cases. Very good cases and can fit 2 rifles, with binoculars, etc. in them. Never had them weighed with an airline and just flew Alaska air with it and didn't have any questions. Took it to Africa with us and it survived very well compared to other cases that we saw. I think we picked up at sportsmans warehouse for $140. It has a nice handle on the end and wheels so you can pull it and not have to carry it.
    Seconded! Have this one, holds 2 guns plus extra if you place it well. Holds them SNUG, and is VERY rugged.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

will the 1750 accomodate 2 moderate sized scoped rifles OK? thanks!
    Yes, I have gotten two Ruger 77 rifles in my Pelican 1750.

Default TSA info:

I fly to and from Alaska every year with firearms and ammunition. See these websites for useful information.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/hel...latedItems.asp

BGiddens
    BG

I have a Pelican 2 rifle case and yes it will hold 2 scoped rifles. It is tough as nails and protects whatever is in it. The one I have does not have built-in locks so I use Master Lock pad locks. My only complaint is, it is HEAVY. I also own a SKB 4 rifle case. It has built in TSA locks and is much lighter. (It also has wheels for easier transport through the airport, like to the rental cars etc. The lighter SKB case is much easier to handle. My Pelican case has made many airline trips and , as stated earlier it is tough, it's durability is proven. My SKB case has only been on one round-trip. So it needs a few more trips to prove it's durablity. Just my opinions about my gear. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    As far as I know it isn't possible to pack ammo and rifles in the same pack - on any airline. That shouldn't be a problem since most hunters will be bringing a second checked bag anyway.

In every airline I have traveled with, they MUST be packed with the firearm & DECLARED, to do otherwise is like a crime or something.

I have a Pelican (I believe it's a 1750). My two rifles are a Rem 700 and a Kimber 8400, both with 40 mm scopes and they both fit with room to spare. I've flown this case throught Alaska airlines and did not get charged an oversized fee. Whatever you get, make sure it has wheels, they are worth the extra money.

Ammunition—up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked, if securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case).
    jeffP- You might want to check again

Default ammo

MUST NOT BE WITH THE RIFLES! In my travels to Africa and inside Alaska, ammo was in my check baggage NOT in the rifle case. I just flew 2 weeks ago and ammo was in a factory box in my check bag. I didn't even say I had ammo and they didn't ask. I usually put my 2 rifles, knives, and binoculars inside my rifle case.

TSA sets the "minimum" standards, absolutely rifle and ammo may be packed in the same hard sided case according to TSA.

Airlines may set their standards higher than the TSA minimums. Currently and always in the past, the major US carriers have not set standards higher than TSA relying on them to set the standard, rifle and ammo may be packed together.

Generally, all foreign carriers and foreign governments DO NOT allow the ammo to be packed in the same case as the gun, this includes Mexico and Canada. Some African countries may require the ammo packed in its own locked metal box. For international travel you need to check your carrier, your destination, and any en-route stopover policies. Some international flights require the resevation in advance include a statement that there will be a firearm. Some stopovers with an automatic baggage transfer require a government permit for the baggage transfer, ie. Seoul and Amsterdam.

But, in the US, ammo and gun may be in the same hard sided case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast