Thread: $5.00 Per Boat Launched at Kenai Lake???

Thumbs down $5.00 Per Boat Launched at Kenai Lake???

So last weekend the Park Rangers made me pay $5.00 to launch my 18' cat off a trailer and also $5 for each of my one man cats that we hand carried down to the river.

Maybe I have always misunderstood......but I did not know you had to pay to carry a boat down to the river!

I was even told that if you carried it under the bridge and hand launched it in the lake you still had to pay the launch fee.

Am I the only one who thinks this is lame and did not know or understand that was the LAW?

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerat View Post
    So last weekend the Park Rangers made me pay $5.00 to launch my 18' cat off a trailer and also $5 for each of my one man cats that we hand carried down to the river.

Maybe I have always misunderstood......but I did not know you had to pay to carry a boat down to the river!

I was even told that if you carried it under the bridge and hand launched it in the lake you still had to pay the launch fee.

Am I the only one who thinks this is lame and did not know or understand that was the LAW?
    Rat,

This is correct, to the best of my knowledge.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Bummer!

Maybe I'll just stop on the bridge and throw the little boats over the side!

YES...I'm cheap!!!

I would just buy the sticker, it works at Willow too. They started charging sometime in late march or early april too, I'm not impressed with the people there this year. If you dont use the ramp I dont think you should have to pay the launch fee, nor do I think you should pay if your rig is in the lot for less than a half hour. I'm curious if they are pocketing the money or if it goes where it should. You could always drag the boats down from the other side of the bridge. In summary I think you understand the way it works better than the people there.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Default Fees

Yes, well, the launch fees bother me also. Been paying 'em for about ten years now, it seems. And it always bugs me, also.
    Add in a Wildman shuttle, food and gas ...and it is clear that the greatest deal with rafting is that it is such a cheap recreational pursuit!
    Lost sunglasses and broken flyrods...hey lets stop by AK R&K and purchase some more darn straps, or some great product to shine-up the rafts.
    Now I want to upgrade my baby blue Super Puma to a new orange Super Duper Puma.

Kenai River boat-lanch fees end up being my smallest rafting expense! I still dislike them the most, of all my expenses, so far. (But in the past I could usually sneak the boats in the water this early in the summer, until salmon season starts.)

Solution to the fees...bring a friend with some bucks. After all, you bought the boat.

Dennis

was it $5 to park and launch, or just $5 to launch each boat + parking. I can't remember, but last summer I was launching my one man cat at kenai lake because it was cheaper than launching/parking at the ferry. I thought it was $5 to launch and park at the lake.

It was $15 total for launching my 18' cat and 2each one man cats.

Its not the money that bothers me, just the point and that I was never aware that I was required to pay for launching the one man cats. I thought the $5 launch fee was for using the ramp. If you carried a little inflatable down an set it in the lake or river they say that costs another $5 each. What if I leave the one mans on the big boat and launch them all together? According to the ramp nazi you still have to pay for each boat.

So I guess when I launch my bayliner at Whittier, I need to pay another launch fee for my inflatable tender????

Default Cheap

No you are cheap. LOL, but you know me cheaper since I only pay $15 in Whittier