Thread: Weatherby Ultra Lightweight .280

Default Weatherby Ultra Lightweight .280

Well, I broke down and paid the big bucks for the Mark V Ultra Lightweight in .280. Put a 2-7X Leupold on it, with the Talley LW rings. Took it to the range for the first time yesterday. Can't remember who posted awhile back asking how they shoot, but to whoever it was:

THEY SHOOT GREAT!!!! I haven't had a chance to work up any loads for it yet, but I bought one box of run-of-the-mill Remington 150 gr Core-lokts to get the scope "close." Well, I may not even bother working up loads. It shot the Core-lokts into less than an inch for 3 shots at 100 yards. Recoil is there from such a light rifle, but nothing bad. The trigger is very good for a production rifle as well.

I'm can't wait to get this baby up in the sheep mountains in Aug!

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Well, I broke down and paid the big bucks for the Mark V Ultra Lightweight in .280. Put a 2-7X Leupold on it, with the Talley LW rings. Took it to the range for the first time yesterday. Can't remember who posted awhile back asking how they shoot, but to whoever it was:

THEY SHOOT GREAT!!!! I haven't had a chance to work up any loads for it yet, but I bought one box of run-of-the-mill Remington 150 gr Core-lokts to get the scope "close." Well, I may not even bother working up loads. It shot the Core-lokts into less than an inch for 3 shots at 100 yards. Recoil is there from such a light rifle, but nothing bad. The trigger is very good for a production rifle as well.

I'm can't wait to get this baby up in the sheep mountains in Aug!
    Very nice....

I have been thinking that an ULW in .280 might make a very nice addition to the collection...I was worried about the slim barrel contour but evidently it is a non issue.

Thanks for sharing and if you would please keep posting info as you continue to use it.

I am curious about the actual weight of this setup. I have been thinking about the same rifle but in 257

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I examined one in 280 at Great Northern Guns, quite a while back. It was of interest to me because I already have a 280.

I liked the LIGHT weight, and the barrel was nice and long, but the price was HIGH, and the stock wasn't quite up to other MK V's, so I controlled myself.

You're right. It should make a GREAT sheep hunting rifle.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Lujon the magnum version of the ULW weighs a pound more than the standard caliber versions just so you know.

I already have a .257 in SS Laminate Vanguard and thought about adding a .257 ULW but I have always wanted a .280 Remington as well...

Decisions, decisions LOL!!!

here's a link to a .257 ULW review in several parts if you are interested:

http://www.realguns.com/archives/027.htm

I handled one in .30-06 a couple yrs back. It was the only one in the shop and the only one he could get at the price of $850. If it would have been a .25-06 it would've been mine!

I have the same rifle in 270win - similar story! Good luck with yours!

I will try to get an actual weight tonight...

Default actual weight is...

7 lbs, 1 oz with Uncle Mike's Mountain sling and 5 rounds of ammo.

Default .280

Got me a new .280 in Remington Alaskan Titanium, I would like to put talleys on with a nightforce scope, might make it a little heavy with that scope but I am toying with the idea, we'll see. gun weighs 6lb 4 oz. w/o scope.