Thread: twisted ribs, muddy trails, busted winches, and bear track soup..

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default twisted ribs, muddy trails, busted winches, and bear track soup..

Okay i do have pics from the weekend but i am still so sore i can't dig the cord out to plug in the camera yet...

our weekend started Friday after noon. my 11 yr old Natalie. and i headed home to clear. started off at the clear sky lodge, she ran into all her same aged Friends with the two moms that were there... and was instantly swept off my hands for a while...so i was left to unpack ( usually faster that way)

an hour later i get a call... the mom with my kid is headed over to the other moms house. and got stuck in the drive way. on my Honda i go...

and find a town car in muddy ruts of the remains of the road. things are still thawing there and water is stacked up as high as bank will allow it until the ground ice goes. ... and the drive way is no more ...

any way.. buddy and I try to push car out of the ruts... and ZINGGGGGGG there went my back. that snow machine accident in 2000 caught back up with me. and i was on my knees. my buddy says we need a truck.

after i catch my breath and suck it up i hop on wheeler and head to house and have the two moms walking on my back and pry it back into place..still hurts though..

not to be deterred.

as it is the last weekend i get with my daughter before taking off to her moms for the summer. Saturday we head out to the baits. there are young grizz tracks on the power line and small blackie tracks in the trail. but neither bait has been hit yet... though i am not surprised at this. as MEM> weekend is the soonest i have ever been hit. there.

the sun was out no wind, and we Head back to make some bear crack. (oops i forgot to tell wife i use the canning pot)

by mid after noon things are looking nice and Nat, says let go looking dad... so on the wheelers we go... ( i am still sore but going) where too i ask her?

any where but the trial to the mine .... i hate that one she says....

so ...

we hit the Rex trail... out the back yard and down the trail... i took a detour up to windy creek and seen some NICE NICE blackie tracks. several days old though but there is a good one there.

and then the REX TRAIL sets in...

Dad? Natalie asked at our first stop...

yes?

YOU did NOT say anything about SWIMMING!!!!!!!

we spent 5 hours and made it to the first river... before she said lets go back....she tipped it once, i was stuck numerious times. the lake was flooded well out over the trail. and we were chasing small fish in the trail..

caught a few frogs to play with. and got stuck some more..

Nat, has a 350 Yamaha Wolverine, with taller tiers on it. i rode the Honda Foreman. and her being lighter was able to scoot across things and i could hook my winch on her till it gave out...

nothing but water... on much of the trail i would get behind her and bumper up and push the Yamaha with the Honda one stretch was easy 3/4 a mile with water over our boots, racks, fenders, mud in our hair, and we made it to clear sky at 10 pm nearly 9 hours on the trail..

ever seen an 11 yr old inhale a cheese Burger and fries ...

Sunday am... i wake to water coming down the back trail looks like the Nenana river has changed course and hit my back yard... ( rivers 3 miles away) the spring in the back said it is full now.. so after coffee, and sniping some bunnies out the door. i go fire up the Dozer for the first time this year... and as i reach for the key... ZINNNNNGGGGGNNGNGNGN

there once again went my back...6 am. and nothing but ravens to help me down off the dozer.. OMG i could not breath. by this time i am on my hands and knees crawling to the log pile. and get my self stretched out over the logs... take two deep breaths, ( tell my self not to pass out) and stretch.. SNAP... there it is back in. and i think the mosquito population took a drastic hit when i sucked in that next breath. i tried my best not to scream..

time for another pot of coffee.

finally able to breath and a few more cups in me. i get the cat fired up. dig a hole and make a dam for the water... now i have a pond...???..??? ( bug factory)

by now it is 9 30 and the kid is still passed out. i start bacon and eggs and another pot and she starts to stir...

i ask hey wanna go back out the Rex today?

NO!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Hard Spring

Your one hard working guy.

What are you doing about that back?

Sounds like your daughter worked really hard on that wheeler.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Okay i do have pics from the weekend but i am still so sore i can't dig the cord out to plug in the camera yet...

our weekend started Friday after noon. my 11 yr old Natalie. and i headed home to clear. started off at the clear sky lodge, she ran into all her same aged Friends with the two moms that were there... and was instantly swept off my hands for a while...so i was left to unpack ( usually faster that way)

an hour later i get a call... the mom with my kid is headed over to the other moms house. and got stuck in the drive way. on my Honda i go...

and find a town car in muddy ruts of the remains of the road. things are still thawing there and water is stacked up as high as bank will allow it until the ground ice goes. ... and the drive way is no more ...

any way.. buddy and I try to push car out of the ruts... and ZINGGGGGGG there went my back. that snow machine accident in 2000 caught back up with me. and i was on my knees. my buddy says we need a truck.

after i catch my breath and suck it up i hop on wheeler and head to house and have the two moms walking on my back and pry it back into place..still hurts though..

not to be deterred.

as it is the last weekend i get with my daughter before taking off to her moms for the summer. Saturday we head out to the baits. there are young grizz tracks on the power line and small blackie tracks in the trail. but neither bait has been hit yet... though i am not surprised at this. as MEM> weekend is the soonest i have ever been hit. there.

the sun was out no wind, and we Head back to make some bear crack. (oops i forgot to tell wife i use the canning pot)

by mid after noon things are looking nice and Nat, says let go looking dad... so on the wheelers we go... ( i am still sore but going) where too i ask her?

any where but the trial to the mine .... i hate that one she says....

so ...

we hit the Rex trail... out the back yard and down the trail... i took a detour up to windy creek and seen some NICE NICE blackie tracks. several days old though but there is a good one there.

and then the REX TRAIL sets in...

Dad? Natalie asked at our first stop...

yes?

YOU did NOT say anything about SWIMMING!!!!!!!

we spent 5 hours and made it to the first river... before she said lets go back....she tipped it once, i was stuck numerious times. the lake was flooded well out over the trail. and we were chasing small fish in the trail..

caught a few frogs to play with. and got stuck some more..

Nat, has a 350 Yamaha Wolverine, with taller tiers on it. i rode the Honda Foreman. and her being lighter was able to scoot across things and i could hook my winch on her till it gave out...

nothing but water... on much of the trail i would get behind her and bumper up and push the Yamaha with the Honda one stretch was easy 3/4 a mile with water over our boots, racks, fenders, mud in our hair, and we made it to clear sky at 10 pm nearly 9 hours on the trail..

ever seen an 11 yr old inhale a cheese Burger and fries ...

Sunday am... i wake to water coming down the back trail looks like the Nenana river has changed course and hit my back yard... ( rivers 3 miles away) the spring in the back said it is full now.. so after coffee, and sniping some bunnies out the door. i go fire up the Dozer for the first time this year... and as i reach for the key... ZINNNNNGGGGGNNGNGNGN

there once again went my back...6 am. and nothing but ravens to help me down off the dozer.. OMG i could not breath. by this time i am on my hands and knees crawling to the log pile. and get my self stretched out over the logs... take two deep breaths, ( tell my self not to pass out) and stretch.. SNAP... there it is back in. and i think the mosquito population took a drastic hit when i sucked in that next breath. i tried my best not to scream..

time for another pot of coffee.

finally able to breath and a few more cups in me. i get the cat fired up. dig a hole and make a dam for the water... now i have a pond...???..??? ( bug factory)

by now it is 9 30 and the kid is still passed out. i start bacon and eggs and another pot and she starts to stir...

i ask hey wanna go back out the Rex today?

NO!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a Patrick McManus story, the only thing missing is Retch Sweeny.

Entertaining story

so what did you do with your spare time over the w/e
    sounds like great adventure hope your back eases up for you
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up here are some pics in my AOD albums

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Funny

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh at you a few times there....I did the same thing to my back last week & thought I was coing to cry in front of my boys, but my ego prevailed...

ALASKAN ADVENTURES!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

LOL thanks. i dumped my sled back in Marshal pass in 2000. and my fanny pack with the power aide bottles in it. forced 5 ribs out of wack and they have never really healed back in.... not much any one can do except SNAP!!!!..

my daughter sure had a good time. she was still worn out today.

looking in the album ( pics) there is a phot of a moose. we followed the SMEARED trail nearly 7 miles before we found the carcuss must be the longest moose on record. obviously was hooked in a semi trailer

we checked both bait stands and made sent trails 3-4 miles in each direction so it should be ready to fly by the time we get back from Homer, Kenia,seward, this next week. the boy is ready to go. as he does not head off for the summer until around the 10th of June.

Irish i hear ya on the ego... the missus is still yelling at me. for still gooing. but.. pain has kept me going for the last 16 years a little more..is part of the fun

meet on face book here

Vince, you tell a great story! Sure is nice to have the kids around to motivate us to get out, eh. But if I still had young'uns here it would likely kill me <grin>. Getting old sucks.

Will take a look at the pics, thanks for sharing the story. Your daughter sounds like one tough Alaskan (like her dad).

thanks mark... and if you need some crutches air dropped let me know.. i will get some one else to do it.

my luck they would drop in through the roof spear the dog and break the other leg take care and get to town soon as you can to get healed up.

in the mean time. next time the missus says shut up DO NOT MISTAKE IT for stand up....

meet on face book here

2 "moms" on your back???

Wow...
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....