Thread: Marlin 1895G

Default Marlin 1895G

I recently purchased a Marlin 1895 Guide gun in 45-70 and went out and shot it today. Had the Hornady leverrevolution 325 grain and they would need feed properly. They would go about halfway and hang up. Anyone else had this problem? Maybe since it is a pointed shell?
    Going to get some rounded shells and see if thry will cycle thru.
    Had to shoot it single shot but those rounds shot very well. Was pleased with the results.

Sure this has been asked before but didnt see it right off so thought I would ask.
    Thanks
    One shot one kill

I have that gun, but have never used that ammo. I am sure you will find some help here, but also check out the Marlin Owners forum. Go to the "45-70" section on that forum. Tons of activity and a great place for info on the 1895. I will try to attach a link to that forum below...

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...oard,56.0.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The magazine follower on some of the 45-70s doesn't work well with the Leverloution ammo. There is an updated follower available from Marlin.
    I believe Wild West Guns there in ANC sells a replacent follower that might also work.

The sight Dan sent you to is the go-to place for Marlin stuff. Lots of knowledgeable & helpful folks there.

You will LOVE your GG!!!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Thanks

Yes I read the Marlin site and see alot of the same problems. Bought some other ammo today to try and it worked so it is just the Hornady that has the problems. Thanks for your help!
    Believe the problem is solved...wife shot it yesterday at the range,first time she has ever fired a rifle...after she shot it she sat there for a moment then said oh my god that kicked..LOL
    Got to get her something like a 22-250 to learn on so it doesnt intimidate her.

But I loved they way it performed...didnt have to adjust a thing.
    Also shot our Weatherby 300 win mag(she opted not to shoot it at this time)
    Believe it will do great when I go hunting. I didnt really zero it in just shot a few..it is already real close as it is.
    One shot one kill

Glad to hear it's working well with other ammo.
    Sounds like you & the wife had the perfect date!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Aksharpshooter View Post
    wife shot it yesterday at the range,first time she has ever fired a rifle...after she shot it she sat there for a moment then said oh my god that kicked..LOL
    ROTFLMAO!! When I first got my S&W 460V my wife wanted to shoot it (she has shot every gun I have) so I handed it to her with the 395g CorBons I was shooting. She took a shot and promptly gave it back without a word then sat down. Later on when I had enough I asked her if she wanted to shoot it again before we go and her reply was "I would prefer to be eaten by the bear thank you!"
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    ROTFLMAO!! When I first got my S&W 460V my wife wanted to shoot it (she has shot every gun I have) so I handed it to her with the 395g CorBons I was shooting. She took a shot and promptly gave it back without a word then sat down. Later on when I had enough I asked her if she wanted to shoot it again before we go and her reply was "I would prefer to be eaten by the bear thank you!"
    That one's even funnier, than the other story.

She was woman enough to try it, and I betcha, if she needed to, she'd shoot it again.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default funny

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post

Thats a good one Bet it did give a good kick. Wife did continue to shoot the 45-70 for a while but decided not to try the 300. Next time
    One shot one kill

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That one's even funnier, than the other story.

She was woman enough to try it, and I betcha, if she needed to, she'd shoot it again.

Smitty of the North
    She has shot it about 20 times now, but she open the cylinder to read the head stamp now. If it's 45s or 454s she will snap it shut and shoot, but if it reads 460 I get the stink eye as she says they better not be over 200 grain bullets. So I have no doubt if it was needed she would suck it up and shoot a bear with my heavy loads. She said that 395 made her hand throb for an hour, I think it is the size of the grip and that her hands are weaker than mine. She has a little LadySmith 357 that she shoots hot loaded 180 from all the time, I took one shot with that setup and I will never do it again for fun . . . it weren’t none!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

My wife shoots Leverevolution ammo out of her Marlin 30/30. It feeds through that rifle flawlessly. Very accurate, as well.

Jeff