Thread: Anybody Interested in Runnin Loin's Head Momorial Day (Monday)

Default Anybody Interested in Runnin Loin's Head Momorial Day (Monday)

Not very familiaer with the forum, sorry if this should be posted in other place.

Anybody interested in a day trip on monday (memorial Day) from Caribou Creek to Kicks Creek?

Where is the take out @ hicks creek ? Is there a public boat launch @ hicks? Has it moved up stream with the Nova operation? Do rec boaters need to call Nova head?

Several of us were up there this past weekend. Didn't run Lion's Head due to low water, and the gauge is showing even lower water levels now -- under 2'. I'm guessing a raft or cataraft of normal size would be getting stuck a few times. Should be fine in a kayak, IK or WW canoe though.

You can get out at Hicks Creek now. There was a cataraft putting in when we went by. There is a new road down towards the Creek mouth from the downstream corner of both Mat and Hicks. The launch from there doesn't look good, and as a take out it's even worse, but it can be done. Drive down there and take a good look before you do the run.

A better take out is at mile 101, a little west of the Long Rifle cafe. Don't use the road that is the glacier access. Continue West another 100 yards and take Kieth's Road. That will get you to the second bridge down there. If you find yourself at the upper bridge, you can see the lower one, so go back up to the highway and look for Keith's Road. This is a shorter run that Hicks Creek, but it gives you time to run Lion's Head twice, and the launch is easy at any water level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post

You can get out at Hicks Creek now. There was a cataraft putting in when we went by. There is a new road down towards the Creek mouth from the downstream corner of both Mat and Hicks. The launch from there doesn't look good, and as a take out it's even worse, but it can be done. Drive down there and take a good look before you do the run.

A better take out is at mile 101, a little west of the Long Rifle cafe. Don't use the road that is the glacier access. Continue West another 100 yards and take Kieth's Road. That will get you to the second bridge down there. If you find yourself at the upper bridge, you can see the lower one, so go back up to the highway and look for Keith's Road. This is a shorter run that Hicks Creek, but it gives you time to run Lion's Head twice, and the launch is easy at any water level.

Hey Jim, did you happen to check out the takeout NOVA was using last year? Below what appears to be a material site they've been using for all the road construction.. Its downstream of the bridge but not as far as Hicks.

I left a note and took out there last year but was never able to talk to anyone about that location and find out more specifics.

We floated by it, and there was no activity -- not surprising this early. And with the water this low, you would have to haul the boats a ways to get to a vehicle. I'm sure it's private land, and I have no idea on the disposition of the owner. Nova, no doubt, pays for the access.

Once the water comes up a bit, the new Hicks Creek access might work out OK. Can't be any worse than the mess they made at Caribou Creek. Who's stupid idea was that?

Default take out

The property is private, but if you ask Chuck he might let you use it. Nova has their guides camp there so someone is usually present.
    Most people take out at the Mat.glacier park bridge.
    Too bad the river dropped, but with this new injection of warm weather it will be flowing good soon.
    The bomb right now are the smaller streams trying to accommodate all of the snow melt. We are having some white knuckle runs.
    I have taken my raft down the redgate run on Willow many times. It is not a summer lionshead but for now it is running good. Class II-III, clear, beautiful, fast and fun. Catch the late evening flows for a good continuous whitewater ride, but make sure you are in good form with handling your boat.
    I am up there alot, and with a coordinated effort could offer kayak support for some who want to try the redgate in a raft.Look for flows above 800 cfs for a smooth raft trip.
    Anyway here is an option to that ugly, brown, low, rocky, spring, lionshead trip
    MO

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Can't be any worse than the mess they made at Caribou Creek. Who's stupid idea was that?

And that was planned... DOT was well aware of the use there... I guess they've never had to back up a trailer... Most impossible boat launch approach I've ever seen...

To LOW ?!?!?!

What am I going to do Monday ?

I have been kicking of the season, Memorial Day, on Lion's Head for years !

The smallest boat I have is a 12ft cat with a fairly narrow frame

What other class III/IV is there ?

1st (& perhaps 2nd) canyon on Sixmile.

Matanuska has been rising just a bit, the last couple of days. Right now it's hovering right around the 2' mark. That might be runnable in a 12' boat, I don't really know.

http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1