Thread: 08 AC 500 too back heavy

Default 08 AC 500 too back heavy

I have been trying to get used to my 08 Arctic cat 500 manual for a year now. It was quite a bit taller than my 97 454 bearcat and had a tendency to be kind of top heavy. A good set of aftermarket tires solved that problem but now the front tires lift off the ground when climbing steep hills, a lot worse than my older cat or buddies honda does. It seems realy but heavy. I think the gas tank being under the rear of the seat combined with my 330lbs makes it so heavy, there really isn't much up front to compensate. I was thinking about mabe putting a few 20lb weights on the front rack to balance it out, or maby attaching weight to the brush guard would be better to lower the center of gravity. Anyone else have this issue with thier wheeler and if so how did you solve it.

Easiest would probably just be to sell it and get a 6 wheeler, they will climb just about anything, but would like to get this cat climbing better.

Any ideas?

Smile trade for 650 trv

ok i had to do it but what about just moving alot of any load up on front rack if you have any weight to it ( probably already did that but thought worth a shot)

I have been riding AC for a few years. This is what you need to do. Set your suspention to 4 (one less then stiffest setting) on the rear and on the front set your suspention to 2 second from the lowest. And then just shift your weight forward when going up hill. This will also make it steer better on faster trails. I have a 05 650 H1 and the wife ride is a 07 650 H1 TRV

Default make adjustments

You may try to set the shock pre load lighter. Try to get more sag in the suspension. I keep mine on the firm setting so I can really load it down. But without a load it is very stiff and tall and not easy to drive on sidhills or off camber terrain. The new 550 uses a 1 inch lower seat and new shocks to help handling. I use alot of body english to get through the tricky stuff, it is a trade off for a high ground clearance Atv.

Istead of just adding useless weight to the front why not add a one of those flat gas cans. At least then you should get the weight where you want it AND have spare gas if you need it. I would look at that as well as making some adjustments as mentioned on your suspension setup.

This is exactly what I was going to recommend but Gary beat me to it. Also Lujon had a great suggestion. A flat gas pack + winch should help, then add the stiffer suspension setting Gary suggested and you should be golden. If that doesn't work, just go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    I have been riding AC for a few years. This is what you need to do. Set your suspention to 4 (one less then stiffest setting) on the rear and on the front set your suspention to 2 second from the lowest. And then just shift your weight forward when going up hill. This will also make it steer better on faster trails. I have a 05 650 H1 and the wife ride is a 07 650 H1 TRV

Default Add a winch

if you don't have one. Or a bigger winch if you do!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Took it out to the glacier yesterday. Didn't do any very steep riding but did notice that it handles better with the front suspension on 2 and the backs on 5. Seemed to be able to get more weight transfered to the front of the machine when climbing. I've looked into those flat gas cans but they are too expensive for what they are. I'll just put a pair of gas cans on the font in a milk crate, see if that helps.