Thread: Ross Reel

Default Ross Reel

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/7...er-3-Reel.html

is this Ross reel any good? i can get it for $55 is it good enough to last me a while or so?

dont get this reel... i fish a ross and love it, but do not get that one. you can get a much better one for around one hundred bills.

While there are certainly better reels out there, of course it will last you a while. A few seasons I would hope. I had some cheap Cabelas "Prestige" reels a few years back. Worked fine, but like most things, you get what you pay for. Starting out, if on a budget, why not. Maybe later you will upgrade your reel. Rod. Line. It is normal enough man. Just get what you can afford for now and get out and have some fun.

For what it is worth, I do like the advice of the "$100 and up" reel suggestion above. At that price and up, you should expect a higher quality, more durable, lightweight reel with stronger drag system.

Looking over the Sierra Trading Post link above, I see the Lamson Velocity. I have a few of those and they are fantastic reels. A whole different league than the Ross reel you linked. Food for thought.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

This isnt a true Ross reel. It is made by Ross Reels Worldwide. RRW makes cheap reels outside of the USA and they arent very good. If you like Ross, look that the Ross cimmaron or the Cimmaron large arbor. They start at $100 bucks and go up to about $155. I have a small one on my 3wt and it has withstood everything from small grayling to a crazy glo-bug munching chum salmon. Lke dan siad above, The lamson reels are bomb proof. My buddy has a velocity, and its one of the nicest reels that I have seen.

I have a Ross Gunnison, now discontinued. Ten years and going strong without any maintenance. Has sealed bearing-titanium as I recall.
    NRA Lifetime Member

I've caught plenty of fish on an old Pflueger with no drag at all. The reel holds the line. The fisherman fights the fish. Buy what you can afford, make no excuses, and go fishing.

My ross G3 is my go to reel for big game fishing...love it to death! Wish I could buy another and I really wished I didnt pass up a g5!!! BIG mistake there. I dont know what that reel is, drag wise, something to wonder about when they dont show you the drag system I'd steer clear. You dont need one per say, but it IS nice to have....last thing you want is a real blowing up during mid fight on you. I have a pretty old system 2 10/11 that spun a drag on a king a few summers ago salt fishing...dunno how many kings I stuck and landed that summer but over the years one of those break pads broke free. talk about interesting, not fun. Either way 3m sent replacement parts and in a few minutes she's back to good again..for FREE! Hard to beat quality when they take care of you years down the road!!!

Default Flywater uses the old Gunnison drag system

I have three of the Flywater 2 reels plus some extra spools. I use them for my lake fishing and they have worked great for two years. I bought them to take over the duties I used Scientific Anglers system 2L reels for. Ross Worldwide used the old Gunnison drag system on these reels. It works well.

The flywaters have worked great for two years for rainbows up to 29 or 30". You can get them cheap now--I've seen them for as little as $69 online.

I have only one complaint--they don't make 'em anymore, so you better move quickly and get some spare spools while you're at it. I have no idea why they discontinued this reel. IMO it is as good as the old Gunnison, and it's a larger arbor design.