Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The kids found my barrel!

Unhappy The kids found my barrel!

Well I got my barrel out and loaded it up with Cob, syrup and confection sugar in hopes of bringing in a nice juicy blackie that is just dyeing to be covered in red wine and onions. Instead I get the kids. Itís in 16B but I canít whack these babies. The top of the barrel is 3 feet off the ground. Hopefully momma black bear comes in to find where junior is fillin up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I, of course, have no bears in Kansas to bait, but your barrel reminded me of my older brothers slopping the hogs here on our Kansas homestead. Dad always had several fifty-five gallons barrels with the tops cut out that we soaked barley in for a day or two then fed it to the hogs. My brothers liked to hide one in the hot summertime for a week or better until the fermentation had developed quite an alcohol content then slop the hogs. Watching the hogs get drunk was quite a thrill on an otherwise boring day on the farm.

I do hope you get a big bruin coming to your barrel.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Well I got my barrel out and loaded it up with Cob, syrup and confection sugar in hopes of bringing in a nice juicy blackie that is just dyeing to be covered in red wine and onions. Instead I get the kids.
    If they are big enough to put on a cracker, they are big enough to eat. Whack em and stack em. Get a predator control permit and you're good to go.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I'll bet a pair of cubs would make nice slippers or mittens.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Outfit your toilet nicely, brown for the seat, black for the tank cover!

Default COB?

I hear people say they baited with Cob what is Cob?

corn,oats,barley. sweet feed for horses it has some molasses also.
    Paul

Default your second picture

isn't a black bear. That is small grizz. Just pointing that out. Much too big a head for a cinnamon.

Default Griz

Northway thanks. I did know that but I was just point out that I only have babies coming in on my bait. Here is another photo of the Griz and the last photo taken (black I think).

Default Neat pictures

Thanks for posting the pics.

I think it is strange that momma is not around your bait stand also. I would think momma would be filling her belly up also. I have not seen cubs that young wander very far from their momma. Keep us posted if you get more pics of the lil guys and their momma.

If you wanted a young bear you could get a predator control permit for 16B and get the lil blackie.

By looking at those pictures i'd have to guess that neither bear is with it's momma, they look just a bit to big to still be with her. That grizz will be a nice one in a couple of years, if he isn't shot beforehand.

Default Toddler...

Ok on the grizz. Yep you got some babies there, but big enough to be alone. Had one come in the other night to our stand and it was small! Pretty nervous little thing too!

Default The kids invited their buddies over for lunch.

The first photo is to give an idea of how big the bears are. Itís a 35 gal drum and I am 6í2. The little black came back and hung with the bait most of the night. His ears give him away.

Default New bears

The second bear is a new one and I might consider tagging him or his brother. These guys were in and out all night last night. (note camera angel has changed)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i would have to say the last few are 3-4 year olds. 125-150 lb bears. just over 4.5 foot....good table fare.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I donít know about these two. I think they are bigger than the little one but due to the camera angle Iím not sure. Finally a larger griz found the bait. If I see him off the bait he might be in trouble. We will see what shows up tomorrow. For the record I do have the predator permit, mostly so I can land and shoot same day.

Default grizzlies

those are some ugly rubbed ones!!!
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Bear pics

You have some good photos with the trail camera. Beware, I've seen a camera eaten the first night it was put out. The little plastic pieces were saved and put into a box, and later sent back to the manufacture at their request. My friend had called, told them what had happened and they thought it was pretty funny. They sent him a new one and he has had better luck, at least so far. Good Hunting!

Default I know

They found the camera too!

Default my kids

Wonder if your kids know my kids. Dont know what happened with this picture but these little guys look like black bunny rabbits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast