Thread: At The Range With My Two Ruger Hawkeyes

Default At The Range With My Two Ruger Hawkeyes

I went to the range this afternoon and did some real serious load work to establish hunting loads for my 358Win and 30-06 Hawkeye's.

The 358Win

I was working with 225gr loads using two different lots of AA2495BR and was able to get my 8 pound lot that was cooler than the one pound I had to get velocities and accuracy for a hunting load.

The cooler lot to AA2495BR likes 210primers better and the hotter lot likes 215 primers.

At 47.5grs of of the cooler lot I got good accuracy but just to slow for what I want. I wanted it over 2450fps and I only got 2433fps.

At 49grs I got accuracy and velocities exceeding 2450fps at 2475fps. So this is offically my hunting load for my 358Win leaving me a little over 7 1/2 pounds of AA2495BR.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

The 30-06
    My 30-06 has really been a project because I believed I could get it to very acceptable accuracy without doing any bedding or work to the rifle but just use it like it came out of the box.

I got 2987fps out of H414 but accuracy was not there and 2902fps out of W760 but not accuracy.

Three shoot group with AA2495BR 165gr Speer Hot core moving 2867fps.

165gr Sierra HPBT bullet using H450 but was to slow

So at this time I still am not settled on a 165gr (medium bullet weight for cartridge).

I was also working on a heavy for cartridge load using a 220gr Sierra RN Pro Hunter and I have found my heavy load. Good accuracy and moving at 2465fps.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Looks like your time and effort has paid off there beartooth...

Do you still have the Mark V 30-06?

That was a very nice rifle when you got done.

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    Looks like your time and effort has paid off there beartooth...

Do you still have the Mark V 30-06?

That was a very nice rifle when you got done.
    It has taken a lot of work on these especially the 30-06 but I always believed I could find a load or loads for this Hawkeye without doing some special bedding or freefloating. It was a challenge to get these two wood stocked rifles out of the box to really shoot.

I will be perfecting a few of the good performers in the 06 and wrap it up. It is a good feeling to accomplish something you believe would work. Yep, going to knock some game down this fall with these two rifles and the that will be the satisfaction of closing the circle. When I do take game with these rifles, it will be because I would not let go until it was done.

I do not have the Mark V 06, I sold it and I needed to at the time. The two control feed Ruger Hawkeyes one in 358Win and the 30-06 will do my work for me. I still have my 300wby custom. I have always taken pride it getting whatever rifle I have bought or had made to shoot at least as good as most thought it should or better than most thought it should. I will have fun especially with the 358Win.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

To shoot under 3/4" or 1/2" without of the box wood stock rifle with no work to them is what I want showing it can be done with patience.

It was the IMR4350 that shot the 1/2" group with the 220 grain bullet. I will be trying it with some 125gr and 150gr bullets. I made sure I tried as many different powders as I could to nurse a good load out of the 165 grain bullet. I tried H450, H414, H4350, H380, H4831sc, RL-22, RL-19, IMR4320, IMR4895, IMR4350, AA2495BR. This work has allowed me to tweak the 06 and a few more times at the range as I play with seating depth will wrap up the 165gr load.

Now I want to make sure that the rifle either likes or dislikes the 125gr and 150gr bullet. To do this I will run it through the same process as I did the 165.

I know some on this forum are not familiar with my load work through the years. These are not anywhere near my best work or shooting but I am working as I said with out of the box hunting rifles with wooden stocks. I am going to find that load where all three rounds touch and without having to do special work on the rifle.

It is a challenge and that is why I am doing it. I believe my patience at the loading bench and good shooting techniques at the range and while really focusing and getting in my zone when shooting will produce the groups I am looking for. These rifle already have more than acceptable hunting accuracy but hopefully I will be able to nurse more out of them.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Things are starting to look good. I am starting to get around half inch groups fairly regular now and I see that touching three shot group just around the corner for this out of the box wood stock Hawkeye. This is using Nosler Brass.

I think I am close, real close to understanding the uniqueness of this 30-06. That touching three shot group can run, it can hide but I will find it because I know it is there somewhere. When I first started shooting this rifle and posting my beginning work I had a few write me and say, "you need to bed that rifle or freefloat it". One person said I needed to put a man made stock on it. I believe this rifle has potential, so I wanted to find the sweet load, to demonstrate that you do not have to go to the expense and effort to customize it.

When your rifle shows some signs of promise as this one did when I started working up loads and it began to tighten the groups, you know it will do better. I know this rifle can do it. Now I will agree that this is hunting accuracy but there is a special load this rifle likes and I am about to figure it out.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I will not be testing out to 300 and 400yds until I settle on a load. I will be trying this coming week 180gr bullets. Sierra SPT, Nosler Accubond, Nosler Partition, Speer SPT, Speer Mag Tip, Speer RN. I would prefer a 180gr bullet to be my load so that it maintains energy and momentum at extended ranges. I will also try the 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS