Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with a rifle purchase

Default help with a rifle purchase

hey everyone. I have been on the hunt for a good LH bolt rifle. I stumbled across a nice Mod 70 classic in 300wm and was impressed, but i would rather go for a 30-06. it seems the 06 would be better for the sitka black tail in kodiak and be able to bag a moose. not to mention i am planning on getting to know this rifle really good, so less recoil and more cost-effective ammo is a serious benefit. This will be my first larger hunting rifle (other is a BLR in 243).

Anyways I wandered over to frontier and they had three LH bolts in 30-06. A Ruger M77 Hawkeye, Tikka T3 lite and Savage 116 w/ accutrigger(M77: ss/grey walnut, others: ss/synthetic). The ruger and savage were the same price which caught me by surprise, and the tikka was about $100 more. I guess the savage is one of savage's best models. After looking each one over i really liked the ruger despite the rougher action and extra weight. My overall favorite however was the mod 70 classic.

So my questions are:

1. why should i pick 300wm over 30-06? and vice versa, how will either limit me? I am not too concerned about this question, i am pretty much set on the 30-06. I do not generally agree with the whole "magnum or nothing" mantra that seems really popular among some riflemen.

2. what are important features of those three rifles in 30-06 that would be presented in a comparison. I am not looking for brand loyalty here because i am already liking the ruger already but feel free to throw it in. I am more concerned with stats(eg free float, weight, etc.).

I am not really new to firearms but i don't know what half the stuff is on bolt rifles. I did read a good thread on CRF vs PF, however i still can hardly consider myself an expert and am looking for things i may have missed or overlooked.

Well I would just say 2 things here:
    One, go with the round you like. They are both very good rounds and I think you would be happy with ether choice.
    Two, Savage makes their own barrels and they are the best tack drivers around for the money. That’s not brand loyalty since I don’t have any Savage rifles, but know they are dang good shooters.

All the guns listed would do you a good job but life is to short not to get what you want so you may want to look on www.Gunbroker.com for a 30-06 model 70. I have a guy that will do the FFL stuff on this end for $10 flat in Wasilla and Gunbroker has a list of other FFL holders if Wasilla don't work for you.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

You cant make a bad choice there. I would go with the .300 just because you can get some really great 200grn loads for it. Just in case you want to hunt the big brown furrys. You can kill them with an 06 no doubt but it does not hurt to have a little more. Also if you get a less than perfect shot at a moose it will give you more penetration on a quartering away shot.

Looking at where you live and will hunt I would go with the 300 if you can shoot it as good as the 06. What ever the choice I would use very good bullets

If I were making the decision I would choose the Win 70 in 30 06 because I am a huge fan of the Win 70 trigger and the fact this rifle will hold 5 in the magazine.
    Tennessee

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My choice would be the 30-06, over the 300, because I donít like recoil.

If Iím not mistaken the differences or issues are that

the Ruger is CRF,

the Tika has a Clip, and a small opening for ejection etc., costs more

the Savage has the wood stock. (If itís laminated, thatís good.) the accutrigger may be a plus.

It would be a toss-up for me. Iíd probably get the one that fit, or felt best.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

thanks for all of the replies.

I am pretty much set on 30-06. the only reason for the 300wm was to get the model 70 which was a pretty good deal(and an extremely good deal for the particular shop). Other than that rifle, model 70's are out of the budget or impossible to find. I did check gunbroker. I am not worried about bears either.

The consensus with the savages seems to be that they are great out of the box and a great deal but i have a hard time paying the same price for the savage as i would for the ruger. Especially when the ruger feels better. I'm about set on the ruger was just thinking someone might talk me out of it.

I live in Fairbanks and will hunt mostly in kodiak for sitka blacktail. I am planning on getting a moose sooner or later. I also will probably hunt some kodiak goats and some sheep in southcentral. My experience so far has all been kodiak deer hunting with the exception of one elk hunt.

Does anyone have any advice for getting started hunting moose? should i bury my pride and hire a guide? I am not really confident taking that sort of leap by myself. Thanks again.

ETA: I am not a fan of magnum recoil either. You about have it smitty, except the Ruger has the wooden stock(a very nice one). I will probably go for the ruger.

If you are looking for a 30-06 I have one in Fairbanks. Its brand new in the box never shot, and box was opened only once for my wife to take a picture of it to send to me. Its not LH though. Its a SAVAGE model 116FSS in 30-06. She ordered it and just got it on sunday and paid for it. When she sent me the picture( im in Iraq) i told her it was the wrong model. So now im stuck with the gun and cant take it back. Im sure if you are interested I can give you a better price than Frontier. Since the gun prices have went up lately.
    Last edited by scottycase; 05-18-2009 at 01:10. Reason: forgot brand of rifle

Thanks for the offer, but I am set on the left handed bolt. Don't hold on to it for me but if i have a drastic change of heart i will let you know.

thank you for your service.

I love the 30.06. True, its doesnt throw them out as fast, but an 06 is good for anything. Check out the price comparison of a box of shells. How much more shooting could you do with an 06 than a 300 win at those prices. You could become a better marksman and then work up to something larger if you ever had a desire.

Just got the ruger hawkeye in 30-06. Picked up a few boxes of rounds. In a few days i'll get some glass and see what she can do.

I am also looking at getting a 300wm or possibly a 30-06. But I worry about it being over power for sheep and goats. Anyone got any input on this? I just want a good all around hunting rifle. Any suggestions?

Default 300wm

Quote Originally Posted by GUZ808 View Post
    I am also looking at getting a 300wm or possibly a 30-06. But I worry about it being over power for sheep and goats. Anyone got any input on this? I just want a good all around hunting rifle. Any suggestions?
    I believe the 300WM is a much better than the '06. Dont know if you handload or not but you can get 150 grain in a premium factory load and it will shoot far and flat. Just perfect for those goat and sheep shots and also if you want to hunt anything else in Alaska it is up to the job.

I never have been a fan of the 06 but many are. I have owned 2 of them and just shot them a couple of times brfore gettin rid of em. Handloaded em and still didny like them. Probably had already decided I didnt like the 06 before I ever got it, everytime I think of an 06 its just a bad feeling.
    One shot one kill

Aksharpshooter:
    Good man. you gotta go with your gut feelings. Sometimes, it's like that.

I don't care much for a 30-06 either. Maybe, because everybody has one, but like you, I recognize they are OK.

However I have even worse feelings for 300 WMs. They can never be OK.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by GUZ808 View Post
    To me the very definition of "good all around hunting rifle" is a .308 or 30-06.
    .308 for short actions and 30-06 for long actions since there isnít a nickel difference in their ballistics.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Left Hand

I have several .300 Mag one M70 WM, one Ultra Mag Rem 700
    and I am a left hander

You can buy reduced loads from Remington that approximate
    the 30 06 round for both .300 WM and .300 Ultra Mag

And depending on your needs have options with out being a reloader
    which I am not.

Default Expand your horizons

If you are not absolutely set on a repeating rifle, please note that the falling-block single shot rifles are ambidextrous and just as strong as a bolt action.

Also, the falling block action means the whole rifle can be about 2.5 to 3 inches shorter (and lighter) than a bolt action of the same barrel length.

Just a thought.

Lost Sheep

Default lefty

Im a lefty to and have 2 of the rifles you are looking at (the ruger in 30/06 and the tikka, tikkas a 338 federal) The ruger is the more durable gun of the 3 but mine is not accurate. There are 2 tikka in my house, I got my wife one in 30/06 I have a borescope and they have the smoothest barrels you will see. I had a savage in 300 wsm traded it a few years ago (mistake!) All great guns but in your shoes it would be easy, go with the Savage you will have a very accurate reliable gun!

Thumbs up most of the time....

They shoot the same bullets. One throws them at least 200 fps faster then the other. One usually weighs more then the other. One usually holds 5 rounds in the magazine and the other usually holds 3 in the magazine. One does better with at least a 24" barrel and the other one is happy with a 22" barrel. One normally recoils more then the other. A .300 Win. Mag. is a 30-06 on steroids. I have not owned a Mod. 70 .300 Win. Mag. in over 30 years, but I like it. I have a old and new Mod. 70 30-06 and like them. No matter what you choose, you have made a good choice.

Default OR, to put it another way.....

The 300 shoots the same bullets faster, and flatter,

BUT it gets you,

More recoil,
    A heavier gun,
    Less rounds in the magazine,
    The need for a longer barrel.

Good Summary there, 338.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast