Thread: Aviation radio?

Default Aviation radio?

Just wondering how many carry an aviation radio with them to the bush? If you don't, would you if you had one? Would you carry one if you had a sat phone as well?

I just carry a sat phone. I call the air taxi the morning of the pick up to make sure they are on schedule and to check what their weather is doing and give them a weather report from where I am. The pilots like to know the wind direction / speed and the cloud ceiling and visibility the most and I also let them know if it looks like it is going to change in the next couple of hours.

Default Aviation Radio

When I worked for a guide-outfitter who was a flier I always had an ground-to-aircraft radio with me. While out in remote camps I could contact him at three and four miles away (line of sight) to report what I needed or if my client-hunter and I had a moose down...as in "bring packers now". The radio was also helpful on those terrible windy days in western AK or out on the AK Pen so we could avoid additional and unnecessary landing and takeoffs.

Now, in my own camps, I rely 100% on a satilite phones. I still bring my ground-to-aircraft radio, but I have not used it in five years. I don't use it 'cause I don't see any airplanes except commercial aircraft at 30 thousant feet...nobody to talk to. But...I still bring along my radio and have it in camp as a back-up to the sat-phone.

Satilite phones are expensive, but great for calling my aircraft transporter to confirm pick-up times and bush weather conditions on the pick-up days, calling next weeks clients-hunters to say "hi", and for the client-hunters to make a "hero-call" home while talking pictures at the kill site. Of course the primary reason for me to have the satilite phone is to report any emergency. So far, and hopoefully for the future, I have not had to make any emergency calls.

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Just wondering how many carry an aviation radio with them to the bush? If you don't, would you if you had one? Would you carry one if you had a sat phone as well?
    Yes and do. 121.5 is to be used for emergency's only however, not to tell the wife you're going to be a little late.Sat phones[and sat car radios] can be iffy in Alaska due to the fact many of the satellites are at the equator.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Yes and do. 121.5 is to be used for emergency's only however, not to tell the wife you're going to be a little late.Sat phones[and sat car radios] can be iffy in Alaska due to the fact many of the satellites are at the equator.
    The Iridium sat phones work very well in Alaska as the satellites travel in a North/South direction over the poles. The Globalstar sat phones are just the opposite, their satellites travel along the equator making their reception up here "spotty" at times. Give the Surveyors exchange in Anchorage a call, they are a wealth of information regarding sat phones, not to mention just good people to do business with.

P.S. I have had no problems ever with reception with my sat phone.

I carry a hand held marine VHF raido and tune in to the public channle 68

Its come in handy too many times to leave behind.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default justified

I'm in the process of getting my private pilots license and was considering the idea of having a backup radio and the thought crossed my mind of having it along on hunts as well. We have sat phones, PLB, and radios, where do you draw the line????????? I will admit that I am a gadget guy and always like to have the extras along.

Default Ditto!

On the Iridium System. I have the same service and I have never been wothout service. From Kodiak to Cold BAy to Kotzebue to Cold Foot to AWNR to PWS to POW to Gore Point to Montaque to Seldovia to Mexico to Lake Of The Woods Canada and a few more places I have never had a problem. Might have had to move a bit for clear reception, but that has always been measured in yards, not miles for reception.
    THe only addition I use is a EPRIB when hunting solo.

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    The Iridium sat phones work very well in Alaska as the satellites travel in a North/South direction over the poles. The Globalstar sat phones are just the opposite, their satellites travel along the equator making their reception up here "spotty" at times. Give the Surveyors exchange in Anchorage a call, they are a wealth of information regarding sat phones, not to mention just good people to do business with.

P.S. I have had no problems ever with reception with my sat phone.