Thread: Lake Louise

Default Lake Louise

I just got off the phone with Lake Louise Lodge. The told me there was mabey 100' of open water along the edge. The ice was still pretty solid no big cracks or anything. So it looks like a couple of more weeks .

Default About Normal

That's about the normal time for Lake Louise-- usually out 1st week of June.
    Sometimes Memorial Day weekend, but very rare if it does.

I talked to the guy I bought my lot from. He said there is no hope for full ice out by Memorial Day. Only 1 in 4 is it open by then. I may have to run my boat somewhere closer to make sure it is ready.... OR I may run it out there and stay close to the launch!!! I won't gamble with the ice. 100 feet of soft water is kind of tempting......warm shallow water along the shore.....hmmmmm.

Default lakers

Yes, I understand, because I'm trying to hold myself back too.

I imagine a school of Lakers scanning the surface of that little bit of water for any insect landing. They've gotta be hungry.

Or maybe its just been a long winter and I'm making all this up in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Yes, I understand, because I'm trying to hold myself back too.

I imagine a school of Lakers scanning the surface of that little bit of water for any insect landing. They've gotta be hungry.

Or maybe its just been a long winter and I'm making all this up in my head.
    Or a big fat mouse fly????? And not a big school. Just one fish, so big that the others are askert of gettin et up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfw4Qsbnzv4

I just keep trying.

Mike

Default is it possible

to take a jet boat to the tyone across the lake in september? i was thinking about launching at the lodge and trying that little adventure. I have a 20' wooldridge outboard jet i'd like to see what the fishing and critter watching would be like. anyone ever done this?

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    to take a jet boat to the tyone across the lake in september? i was thinking about launching at the lodge and trying that little adventure. I have a 20' wooldridge outboard jet i'd like to see what the fishing and critter watching would be like. anyone ever done this?
    I do it all the time. Watch for weeds. They can be very thick in Tyone. I would stay out of the slough to the river unless you have a prop kicker. Fighting a bit of current while pulling salad out of your jet every 30 yards sucks. September is one of my favorite times out there. The fishing is poor at that time though

Mike

Default Thanks for the advice!!!

sounds like a fun adventure maybe, I'll have to see what all the weeds are all about!! must be descent pike fishing I am guessing?

No pike to be had...lakers, grayling, whitefish, and burbot.

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    sounds like a fun adventure maybe, I'll have to see what all the weeds are all about!! must be descent pike fishing I am guessing?
    Tyone is perfect pike habitat (or large mouth bass). Rumor has it that there were 2 pike caught a few years ago. There is a kill sign on one of the boards at the campground.

I have not seen a pike in the system. If you catch one, do not put it back into the system.

Mike

Default I agree

on the pike, will do. If I find one it will be on the bank for the eagles.

Default Launch at end of road

Save yourself some travel time and gas and launch from the Public Launch at the end of the road vs. launching from the lodges, if you're heading thru the channel and makin' for the Tyone-- you'll save yourself approx 4-6 miles, which can seem like 50 miles if the wind kicks up nasty while your runnin' in Louise...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Save yourself some travel time and gas and launch from the Public Launch at the end of the road vs. launching from the lodges, if you're heading thru the channel and makin' for the Tyone-- you'll save yourself approx 4-6 miles, which can seem like 50 miles if the wind kicks up nasty while your runnin' in Louise...

The parking lot was starting to get pretty full last year. Especially true on 3 day weekends. Do you have a cabin out there?

4 foot rollers are tough in a river boat. I have been lucky in that I have not been trapped out there.... yet. The water seems to calm down about the time I need to leave. So far at least.....

People need to watch the road near the public launch. The last 1/2 mile can be VERY rough. The new pavement is buckling and heaving.

Mike

Anyone have an ice update?

Default No Update, but ....

this is what it looked like last year on Memorial Day Weekend.

-hiker
    Attached Images Attached Images

hiker,
    Thanks for the pic! I have never made the trip when I couldn't boat or snowmachine.

Hopefully, it will go out this week. Anyone have an ice report?

Mike