Thread: logs by helicopter

Default logs by helicopter

Has anyone ever or know of anyone having logs delivered to a site by helicopter, and what was the cost like and how much weight can they do?
    015_15.jpg

I was told a longtime ago anything transported by helicopter can not be use for hunting, ever!

A cabin built with logs can not be use for hunting if transported by helicopter.

If you’re looking at a helicopter to deliver logs you must have several tons of money.

I am a helicopter pilot in Southeast. I have never heard that logs cannot be transported for a hunting cabin. We cannot transport any hunters but logs to private prorerty would be possible, though very expensive. An Astar can pick around a ton and would be close to 1800 an hour from where ever they depart from base. A larger and more capable helicopter would be considerably more and usually needs a large job to make it worthwhile. Most likely not a practical solution for you.

read page 17 F&G reg.

"any equipment" a cabin is equipment.

I guess the dozens of cabins in the Mat-Su Valley built by hauling materials are illegal to hunt moose out of? Lodges all over the state are built with materials that are flown in by helicopter. There is NOTHING illegal about it.

I have shipped several customer's materials out by using Northern Pioneer out of Big Lake. Jim has a Huey with a max lift of 3000#. He is an absolute pro and can get the job done quickly. Last year I forklifted logs to stage them for a project that we were supplying. They are easy to fly. Figure 1.8# per board foot. There are numerous board foot calculators on the net that can tell you how many board feet are in your logs. For this project we were able to move 3 logs at a time without any trouble.

Here is a pic of the last pallet of cement being flown into the project above..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Do they use cabins as a blind? That's the only reason one would use it in the hunt. But a warm place to lay your head that's another thing.

Tell me does Jim still have the Huey and what does he charge? And will I have to be Fort Knox to get him to do anything? I read where their using helicopters in logging and I'm sure they don't get enough for those logs to pay for a helicopter at 1800 hr... but then I'm no logger...anymore, well not now anyway. I've had my share or should I say fill of that.

Dose anyone run a barge up and down the Yentna, the river looks big enough for one. But all this is speculation on my part. Never been there but I will soon. And that's why I'm here in this forum trying to get info. The net is OK but talking to people is the best way to find out anything. You can read all you want but talking and listening to someone who's done it is the best way. Thanks y'all

I looked up cost last year. Evergreen will lift just about anything. Their quote was about $1-1.25 a pound per hour. They even have a dc-5 to take things to remote spots then fairy by helicopter.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    read page 17 F&G reg.

A cabin is not "equipment". Don't know where your getting that idea from.

I could find Evergreen on the web, but couldn't find Jim with a Huey anywhere.

They used a wood built barge with a sail on it in Corpus Christi bay Texas to haul supplies off ships anchored out in the gulf. But that was before they had a dredges to get them closer.

Default pioneer and denali

http://www.nphak.com/
    http://www.denalihelicopters.com/Home.html

That guy AKdoug suggested is linked first, he has some souped up hueys that lift alot. That page says 3200 lbs. good bit for a ship that size.

The second link is my guy. He has an old Alloutte ll that lifts something like 1800 lbs. His name is John and on top of being a exellent pilot is a real stand up guy. His operation suites me perfect, he brings three of us with our gear into our shack and then picks us up in three weeks or so. I can drag my junk across the railroad tracks and don't need a car when we are up there. However, if your lifting logs, his ship might be a touch slack.
    He did buy a Llama this past winter but its business as usual with the old red alloutte for this year. If you talk to him be sure to say hello from the little guy up the creek with the loud mouth father in law, (he will enjoy it). Maybe he has the numbers on his web page forwarded to his cell but I always call him on 907-317-9520

Jim owns the company Northern Pioneer in Big Lake Alaska. His website is http://www.nphak.com

Canyon beat me to it. I thought John was limited to 800#, but I could be wrong.

Default actually 1550lbs.

Funny you should have questioned, I did myself also.
    According to the specs on Johns web page looks like 1550 lbs.
    I thought he told me more but maybe I just imagined that my fat ass father in law and his sixty four cans of spam weighed more than that...

LOL... it's good information to know. I'll have to ask him the next time I see him.

we used northern pioneer to lift logs for our cabin about 5 years ago. we were able to barge logs to within one mile of our building site then they lifted them right off the barge direct to the building site. the logs were separated into approx 3000lb loads and banded together prior to being loaded on the barge. other materials were on pallets or otherwise packaged together for lifting, sbs did that for no charge. i cant imagine anyone being more proficient than northern pioneer. they did 10-12 loads an hour and stacked things so close together that we had trouble getting the load straps out. you have to do the math to see if it works for you. you also have to pay their time to get to your site and then back to big lake in addition to the time spent hauling loads. they were considerably cheaper than evergreen when we priced it out and they provided help on the pick up end for no extra charge which evergreen didnt do at the time. for us this was by far the cheapest option - barging then helicopter. cheaper than winter hauling, fixed wing, helicopter only etc. the only caveat is that northern pioneer has fire fighting contracts and if forest fires kick up they are gone and not available. while they were gone we used another outfit that was not nearly as proficient so it wasnt as cost effective.

Hey lakecreek was that barge on the river or in the salt?
    And where do you guys get your logs ?

johhnyringo,
    we got our logs from a guy named buzz moore down in anchor point, tower milling i think was the name of the company. we settled on 8in D logs for weight and ease of assembly. he is a great guy but was getting up there and might not be in business any more. we had them trucked to deshka landing then barged down the su and up the yentna to a slough off the river that got within a mile of our site. two more unsolicited plugs, eric johnson of northwoods lodge and ron van waveren(?) of deshka landing did the barging and they are straight up guys to deal with. it was a logistical challenge to be sure but when you penciled it out it wasnt as expensive as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    read page 17 F&G reg.

HUH!????? A cabin is not equipment, a cabin is a "DWELLING" and can be used to hunt out of if hauled in by helo.

I talked to Evergreen in Anch about this when I built mine. I gave him a list of the matirials and he said it would take him about 1.5hrs to fly it all in, cost, about $2600.00. and I had to get my own INS on the lumber incase they had to dump the load for emergancy reasons. I ended up hauling it in by snogo, much cheaper.