Thread: Primer

Question Primer

How much trouble would it be to install a primer on and older Polaris? It seems like it would start easeir after it has been sitting for a while if it had a primer.

Default How old?

What year of machine are you talking about? I think it would take a carb change since the Polaris carbs aren't plumbed for a primer. I don't know of any aftermarket primer kits either.

I'm running a '98 700 RMK and it seems to do fine with only the choke. This year it took about 25 pulls to get it started after sitting since March. Not too bad in my opinion. I know some Ski-doo owners who have to pull 25 times at the beginning of every ride and they are equipped with primers. One friend has a '96 Summit 583 and has to open his hood to watch the fuel lines when priming so he doesn't flood the machine. It is VERY sensitive (probably the exception). As soon as he sees fuel move in the lines he has to stop and the machine usually will start. If he gets one more pump in after the fuel moves, he has to pull plugs and start over.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Primer

It is an '89 sport GT. It usually starts after the summer by 25 pulls too. I wasn't thinking that a primer would need to be routed though the carb, but it makes sense.

Thumbs up

yes they offer kits to put primers on about any thing , it shure helps maks cold weather starting a breeze