Thread: No more cleaning tables on the Russian

Default No more cleaning tables on the Russian

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/fishing/story/798375.html

Looks like we will have find another place to clean fish. How is this going to impact the campgrounds. Wont folks be cleaning thier fish there now and attracting bear?

Default Too bad

I still think this is a bad idea. Do they really think the bears are just going to leave because there aren't carcasses in the river?

I think the bears are now far more likely to try to get the fish the anglers are forced to carry with them -- or raid campsites more often.

I am afraid there will be a mauling this year.
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

Are the bears going to leave the river?? ?? ??
    You bet!!!!!
    They will now be roaming around the CG licking the blood and slime off the picnic tables and munching on the carcases tossed in the bush!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Are the bears going to leave the river?? ?? ??
    You bet!!!!!
    They will now be roaming around the CG licking the blood and slime off the picnic tables and munching on the carcases tossed in the bush!!!!

Yep, this is gonna get ugly. How about shooting some bears, that is what they used to do way back in the day when a bear came in. There are plenty of bears on the KP.

I have fished there for many years and never saw a bear till they put those tables in. When the food is gone the bears will move on, it may take a year or two but they will leave. Instead of shooting them how about just taking you fish home or cleaning them on the Kenai where the water is fast and deep.

I am worried that the camp sites will have fish guts laying around that will attract bears closer to the campers. Grinding up the carcasses back into the river seems like the way to go.

i guarantee that the rangers will be doing double duty keeping MORONS from cleaning fish in the campground.
    how stupid would you have to be to clean a fish in your campsite????
    i bet there will be prominent signs announcing large fines if you are caught cleaning fish in or near the campground.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default They're going to be like Orca's in...

SE AK, just chomp off the salmon when it's hooked...

Seriously, thouhg, when I first went to the Russian & saw all the tables & scraps on below the tables, I just knew that they were nothing but bait stations...

I can see it now,,,, fish rangers,,,, the campground cops on overtime $$$$$$ coming to HBO !!!!!!!!! No fish it no ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Mark View Post
    I have fished there for many years and never saw a bear till they put those tables in. When the food is gone the bears will move on, it may take a year or two but they will leave. Instead of shooting them how about just taking you fish home or cleaning them on the Kenai where the water is fast and deep.
    BINGO!

It's just a matter of changing our behavior for the better so the bears can start to change theirs too.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    BINGO!

It's just a matter of changing our behavior for the better so the bears can start to change theirs too.
    But I still think the first couple of years are going to be dicey. I still think the bears are more likely to try to take fish from anglers than just wander away quietly.

I'm going down for opening weekend anyway.
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

Default i wonder

what changes that will have on the rainbows and dollies as well. maybe they'll all line up at the confluence when they aren't being fed from the cleaning tables up river. i'd imagine that they will still follow the reds up the river. my wife usually fishes for reds, while i chase bows all day.

Default What will i do now?

I will miss fishing bows below the tables with flesh flies, what will I do now!!

Really though I think the bears will follow the food to the campgrounds. Its possible there could be more human and bear encounters.
    Caught and Released

Exclamation I've said it before

and I'll say it again. There was an idea a few years back of mounting meat grinders on the fillet tables so the carasses could be ground up. There would be no large pieces for the bears and plenty for the ecosystem. I think this is an awesome idea. By the way, until an actual law is made I'll still be filleting by the shore, chopping it up and throwing it in.