Thread: Need Prowler Help

Default Need Prowler Help

All,

My wife entered and won me an 2007 Arctic Cat Prowler 650 (God bless her) back in the Fall of 2007. So far work has prevented me from riding it very much but I would like to make a couple of upgrades. The first is the display panel - for whatever reason this model doesn't have a speedometer or odometer. Seems wierd to not have them, but it was free so no complaints. I am not really concerned with the speedometer but I would really like an odometer to help keep track of the maintenance intervals. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I plan to buy a winch soon - looking at the Warns. Is 3000 pounds the right capacity?

I would also appreciate any other modifications/add ons that you see as must have. I am not able to ride that often, but use the machine for trail riding and hunting. I owned a Arctic Cat 500 when I lived in Alaska a few years back (and rode it a bunch) but I am very much a beginner with ATVs.

Thanks for the help.

John

The 3000# warn will work. I just put the warn 3000# xt on my wheeler, and it's just plain powerful. My friend has the 4000# warn on his rhino and it works very well. Maybe some more aggressive tires might help depending on the terrain you ride on most.

Default Trail Tech

You may look at Trail Tech..They make a pretty slick digital display, just installed one on my bike last week. Their Vapor comes with a speedo, tach, and temperature.

http://www.trailtech.net/computers.html

John... here is a link to one of the best places for cat folks to get info and ask questions for anything Arctic cat. Snow machines, ATVs, Prowlers. Its is a free site and a lot of really good Cat folks.

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/ind...?showforum=127

Default Prowler mods

Depends on how much you want to spend.

Winch- I would get a 4000# winch for the Prowler. If you get badly stuck, you will really appreciate it. On my Honda Foreman, I upgraded from a 2500# warn, to 3000# warn. I got stuck and the 2500# worked really hard to get me out. I

Tires- Depends on where you go. If you are on fairly good ground, then stock tires would be fine. If you want to go where it is muddy or very soft ground, then I would upgrade tires. The ITP 589 mud and snow tire is a popular tire for upgrades.

Rims- Stock rims would be fine. However, if you are going to get new tires, consider getting rims as well. This way, will have stock tires and rims for general use, and new tires/rims for the big hard rides deep into the backcountry. I spent about $900 (landed in Fairbanks, 2nd day UPS)at Rocky Mountain ATV for 4 new ITP tires/rims. I thought that was a fair deal.

I used a 3000# winch on my Prowler, it worked OK but would get a 4000# if I did it again. ITP mudlite XTR's 27", incredible tires good on hard pack and mud. I upgraded my shocks to improve the ride, used Fox air shocks off of a snowmobile (great mod and affordable). I made a front skid plate out of the same plastic material used for the bottom skid. I found the front of the frame (were the reciever hitch is) would get hung up and pack full of mud and stuff, so I just cut a piece to mount in that area. Wish I had pics, it worked great and improved approach angles for exiting rivers and such.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the help gents - some great ideas and just what I was looking for.