Thread: Too early for upper Chena?

Default Too early for upper Chena?

I finally got caught up on my list today and have been itching to hit a river. Would I be wasting my time heading up the Chena tomorrow afternoon? Might be worth a try anyway. What do others think?

Default Yes & No

There are fish that spawn all through the system and you will find fishing just not normal summer type fishing up high.

The water is still running high and off somewhat off color but the fact they are calling for sunny and 68 above the trip will be worth the scounting mission to find the fish IMO.

Still snow melt happening in the higher elevations.

Blue Moose!

Tight Lines and Best Wishes.

When I was up there 3 days ago the water was very hi and very off color. That was around the state park and up a few miles. Closer to the hotsprings it was more clear and not so hi. Not sure if the fish are up that hi?

Default Nope no fish yet...

But it was a beautiful day out there. Water was high and cloudy, but the weather was great. Saw one little black bear and the bugs weren't even bad.

floated on 5-19, water a little off color but coming down to fishable levels, the little time i fished i did better than i thought i would, and they were active as in they actually chased my smolt pattern. a caddis hatch was happening and saw a few rise to them also.... it only gets better from now on. oh yea that was between road mile 37 to 28, mark

Hi all. My first post on this directory. Was on the Chena 5/25. Saw no fish in the river but a few in some side channels. Threw out a hares ear and got a 14". This coming weekend should be perfect. But then again, every weekend without snow in Fairbanks is perfect.