Thread: Outboard care

Default Outboard care

With the recent thread about "whats in your toolbox" I was wondering about yearly motor care. I bought a 25hp johnson 2 stroke used (85) about a year ago and it runs great. It starts with the first pull and runs like a top. I would like to keep it running that way. I was wondering what kind of yearly care i should be doing? I checked the plugs and changed the lower unit fluid when i got it but thats it. Should i be doing more? Someone had mentioned changing the impeller every year. Thanks for the help. Hillbilly

Changing the impeller on a regular basis is a good habit. It can save a lot of headaches. I don't do mine every year, but after what I saw when I changed mine last week, I will probably start. The impeller fingers on my main had some pretty bad cracking. It looked like a thirty year old trailer tire. And the one on my kicker had fingers pointing both directions. I don't know how that happened, but it did.

And remember to grease your driveshaft splines every time you have the lower unit off.

As far as other maintenance goes, fresh plugs and lower unit lube is a good start. Remember to maintain your battery(s) both during the season and in the off season (for those who have them). Check and replace the zincs as needed. Check for and replace hard or cracked fuel and oil lines. Grease all of the Zerk fittings on the motor (I have several...cowl latches, linkage, steering pivot, tilt tube, etc.). Check/change your fuel filters. Flush the motor in fresh water after every dunk in the salt. And you can use some de-carbonizer once a year to help keep it running smooth (I use Sea-Foam).

And, I like to put Sta-Bil in every tank of gas as the end of the season gets close. I just never know which trip will be my last and I don't want to deal with all the problems that come with old bad gas. And when you know you won't be back in the water for a few months you can give it a good wash, let 'er dry and spray the power head down with WD-40 to keep the corrosion off. Then, spray some fogging oil in it to protect the bearings, rings, and cylinders.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Besides the plugs, lower end lube and impeller, about the only other items I'd look at are the carburators, fuel pump and fuel lines. On a 20+ y/o engine it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace all the fuel lines, and put a small fuel filter/water seperator unit in the power head.

Those engines will last a long time of well maintained. Which reminds me, I need to do some maintenance on my kicker.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help fellas. Hillbilly

Default R in W

Any chance your kicker is a Tohatsu? I use an 8hp on our Port-a-bote and it works well. This last year we hit bottom, and shortly thereafter it started to overheat.
    I was able to get the lower unit off and pull the impellor. I had a finger pointing backwards, and that was all. I fixed it, put the motor back together, and it ran.
    Later we hit bottom again, and we had to do everything all over. This has never happened in the past. I don't know why it is this way this year. We hit bottom a lot where we go.