Thread: Western PWS fishing in early July

Default Western PWS fishing in early July

I am renting a boat out of Whittier in early July and am looking for any advise on fishing Western PWS. I would like to keep the travel time at less than one hour if possible and mostly would focus on Lings and rockfish. I have made a few trips to PWS out of Whittier with a little luck, but that was out at Knight Is. I've not fished near Whittier with any luck, and with the family this time, I don't want to boat all day. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck I have fished there sence I was 17 yo wont find eny lings within 1 Hour of Whittier All fished out. As for rock fish look around perry and the Egg Rock some time were are some there. Good Luck

If you are feeling tough enough and water cooperates... Get to Ester Island and go to Wally Noerenburg hatchery and see more chums then u have ever seen in your life!!! There is good bottim fishing to be had around there too!

It you want decent fishing you'll have to head out for about an hour, well unless your boat runs 50 knots.

This ling was taken in PWS, but ~50 miles from Whittier.

Nice Ling photo. If you don't mind me asking, how deep and what kind of terrain? Thanks to all for the tips!!!

I was fishing in 50-200 feet, pinnacles that dropped off to 2000'. It got two lings on the same drift, that one was 44", the other 38". I think I caught both around 90' of water, but there are some pinnacles in that area around 50' Look for pinnacles and ridges that drop off quickly on the charts. Friends each picked up a nice ling in the same area in September. I had several lings hit me short on that trip, I just couldn't seem to hook one. Just drift over the high points with a white grub on a leadhead, and you will catch lings, yellow eye and quill backs.

From my experience in the sound, I no longer start fishing for bottom fish until I've gotten to Knight Island. You can do well with salmon around the various points of Culross Island and passage for silvers, but for bottom fish its more hit than miss unless you motor on out to Knight, Green, Montague etc. I don't mind exploring new areas after I've put some fish on ice, but I'll hit the areas that tend to produce first.

Oh I had a brain freeze on the first post, I should have said you'll have to head out of Whittier for another hour (total of 2 hours running 22knots) to get into areas that reliably produce fish.