Thread: Seward West

Default Seward West

Last year I planned a three night four day trip out West of Aialik Cape and over to the Thunder Bay and Cloudy Cape area. Got as far as Granite Island on the second day and had boat trouble and had to turn around. I'll get to Alaska about July 1st and it is my first trip planned this year. Some of the books I've read say there is a pretty good Halibut shelf over in that area. Any help on general areas would sure be appreciated. Any information or experiences on anchorages would also be appreciated. Also are there any of the capes or points in that area that historically hold silvers? The guide books say the area is pretty spectacular(but I guess everywhere you go in the Seward area is amazing). Willing to pay my dues but anything to help would be appreciated.

Thought I'd try again. I know there are some real experienced Seward boaters and fisherman out there. Am I better off just fishing Pony Cove and the Chiswells on the way out or are there worth while fishing opportunities around Thunder Bay and Cloudy Cape. We like to explore new areas but we also do some serious fishing. Thanks for any advice or info.

I have not ventured farther than Granit Island, several areas for Halibut there. However I spoke with a guide that fished Clowdy Cape, where I'm not sure, the charts show a good shelf in that area, and I have seen lots of boats heading on across while fishing Granit Island. Most of the guides go east, could be a hidden message there. Used to be able to find Halibut at the "Six Mile Hole" east of Cape Resurection, I fished mostly off Cape Puget the last two seasons as my luck expired at "Six Mile".

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

there is a lot of good fishing out west of granite. Cloudy can produce fish and so can most of the other capes out there. Go through McArthur Pass and you'll find a whole new world over there. Really neat stuff and even better fishing. I wouldn't say it's better or worse then out east as it all depends on so many variables. In July and August there are salmon all over the place and great ling and yellow eye fishing too. good luck.