Thread: Anchor Set Up on Pulpit with Windless

Default Anchor Set Up on Pulpit with Windless

I got a Hewes Alaskan240 with an Anchor Pulpit and windless. I plan to keep all my rope and chain in a basket on the bow and not use the locker. How do you set up the anchor so it doesn't come off and into the bow or windshield. Its my first year with the boat. I do plan to trailer with it all in a basket on my fishing deck to lessen trailer tonge weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't mean this to sound flip or dumb, because this is what has been done in my family for 20+ years:

Crank the chain fairly tight to hold the anchor fast to the bow roller, then bungie wrap the shaft to the pulpit. Never had a problem with it.

Coho Slayer

I guess with 51 hits and only one reply, everyone must be in agreeance with you or I just asked a stupid question. I had thought of your suggestion but then again, its my first time with a windlas and I wanted to ask those with experience. Last thing I want is a loose anchor in chop. I will give your advise a try.

Thanks

The bungie cord approach should work fine.

Here's another approach: Depending on the kind of anchor you've got, if the anchor is pulled back tight against the roller, it won't go anywhere. If that's the case with your anchor, you can hold it in place with a pelican hook and a short length of line. Attach the pelican hook to the length of line; hook the pelican hook through the anchor shackle; pull back on the line to ensure the anchor is securely seated in the roller; then tie off the line to a cleat or stanchion.

Depends on what type pulpit you have, but I drill a hole thru pulpit above roller and drill a hole thru anchor shaft or use the hole on the front of a claw anchor and run a pin thru it.

Yeah, there really are a variety of ways to do it, but looking at your pics that seemed like a cheap, easy, and adequate solution. You're not going to need a huge anchor, so as long as the line is tied off tight with the anchor firmly against the roller, it's probably not going to go anywhere anyway. The bungie is just sort of a "just in case" measure.

Default One more to add

Kill the power to the windlass switch by tripping the breaker and reset it before use.

Default Bungee

Here is a photo of the only thing I have ever done, the bungee is tied in the middle and both hooks are in the chain, both for the road and at sea.
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 09-23-2009 at 17:09.

I use a mesh duffle bag instead of a milk crate. I have had that bag floating from plowing into big waves, if my rode would have been in a open top box/crate it would have been in the water heading to the prop. Crates or box type tubs are disasters waiting to happen if not attached or don't have some kind of lid. -Even a mesh bungie cover would be better than nothing. Get into some waves that cover your windshield and you'll be praying all the crap on the bow is still there when the water clears!