Thread: Seward King Salmon Thread

Default Seward King Salmon Thread

If anyone is interested in getting the scoop on the Kings in Seward PM me your cell phone number and Iíll send text messages when the fishing is hot. All I ask in return is that you let me measure your fish and remove the otoliths. This involves a small incision to the head. I wonít damage the meat and you can keep the fish whole.
    If youíre at a cleaning station I wonít ask you specifically where you caught the fish, just whether it was on land, inside of Caineís head, outside Caineís head or outside the bay.

For those that donít know, otolith bones are like the inner-ear bones of a fish that have concentric growth rings like a tree. Hatcheries can mark otolith bones by altering the water temperature before the smolts are released. Since all Kings returning to Resurrection Bay are from hatcheries, all their otoliths should have thermal markings. This data helps local hatcheries measure their success.

Iíll be working on this until July 15th and will be out there 5 days a week. I have Mondays and Tuesdays off but if the fishing is good I'll be out there because thats what I'd be doing anyway! Iíll post updates here but the text messages may be more useful, especially if youíre like me and keep your fishing gear on you this time of year.

Iím trying to collect as many samples as possible and would appreciate a text if youíre pulling in to one of the cleaning stations in the harbor or landing one at the waterfall. I cant be everywhere at once, but Iíll come promptly for these samples and really appreciate all the help I can get.
    If you have any questions or want to discuss, feel free to post here. Otherwise PM me your # and Iíll add it to my list!

Presently it is one hour from low tide and thereís nothing happening out there that I can tell. Itís a sunny day in Seward with a light breeze. I'm about to do rounds though and I'll post my findings. Tonights high tide might bring something in but so far I havenít seen any evidence at the cleaning station or on the end of my fishing pole. Its still a bit early though.

Update:
    Thanks to those who have PM'ed me their numbers I'll send my number out when I get a new one by Wednesday. I'll have the next couple days off but will probably still check the fishing spots because thats what I'd be doing anyway if I didnt have this as a job. Too bad its only for 2 months!

No action to report so far, although I've seen some pretty nice Halibut coming in and lots of P-cod. Fish on!

Quick update:
    No action to report from the shore fishery. Maybe we need a little rain to murk up the water. It looks like its coming... The memorial day forecast is wet but that shouldn't stop anyone from catching fish. I'm still compiling my list of phone numbers to spread the word when theres word to spread.

Default Any updates

Are the boats catching any kings?, how about the culvert?, waterfall or the pipe by the sealife center, daily updates would be nice, thanks.

I havent seen any action from the shore yet. I sampled 2 kings from the gut box yesterday that somebody caught.

If you guys could leave the fins on the fish and the spinal column attached it would make my reporting a whole lot more accurate. In order of importance I need otolith, fin clip info (I'm looking at the ventral fins, which will be gone if you take the belly meat--which you're 100%entitled to--its good smoked!), length and sex. Otoliths are by far the most important because they carry the thermal markings that tell the fish's origin. The fin clip only reinforces that.

And since I know you are all so interested in the origins of our resurrection bay chinook salmon, they all come from Ship Creek or Crooked Creek brood stock.

I have been going over all the release numbers for the last five years and it looks like this year could be really good, assuming we get a large return of five year old kings.
    What I'm confused about is why last years run was so poor.
    Fish and Game released twice as many fish hatched in 2004 than the years surrounding it. You'd think some more would have come in last summer on their fourth year.
    Too much thinking, not enough fishing. Gotta go.

Default Just a thought

So what is are your thoughts on the 2 years of flooding, 4-5 years ago? Would'nt it be safe to say that most of the eggs, fry , smolt were washed out or destroyed??? I would think that is playing a major role in the poor returns.....

We had a bad flood on October 10, 2006 and I'm sure it affected salmon, but to what extent?
    Seward has no natural run of kings. The kings are stocked in the lagoon and at the waterfall as smolt usually around July & August and I imagine they would be off foraging by the time of the 06 flood.
    I observed some interesting stuff after that flood. Like a creek where pinks and chums run naturally all the sudden hosting pairs of coho that were still actively spawning! There were some late run chums and pinks that were still actively spawing in that area too.
    The coho run might be the one most impacted by the flood event. They have a 3 year lifespan and spend roughly half their lifetime in freshwater/estuary and half at sea. So the '06 flood could be to blame for last years poor return because it killed the fry and smolts and could make for a poor return this year because it washed out egg beds.
    Thankfully the fish and game gods stock coho in the seward lagoon as well, which might mitigate the problem.

If you're interested in release info here are a couple links. The first one is incredibly detailed, the second is not so much.

http://www.taglab.org/CWT/reports/hatcheryrelease.asp

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...tocking.search

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    So what is are your thoughts on the 2 years of flooding, 4-5 years ago? Would'nt it be safe to say that most of the eggs, fry , smolt were washed out or destroyed??? I would think that is playing a major role in the poor returns.....

edit: I totally spooked a king at the culvert with my snag hook yesterday and repeated attempts at it yielded no success. Were my eyes decieving me? Where were all the other fishermen on that beautiful calm high tide? Today is equally calm and I saw alot of traffic at the boat launch this morning. Happy 3 day weekend. I'll be working on collecting some kings and keeping you all posted.

Default SOO CooL

Hey bigfish, I think what you are doing is why cool.
    I haven't spent a lot of time looking for Kings in Seward, but with your reports and enthusiasm I am thinking about making a run or two down there.
    I have gotten a few tips in the past of where to fish for Kings so maybe it's time to try them out.
    Unfortunately I am not a texter on cell phones so if you could keep up your post's I will try follow them and let you know if I have any success.
    I just got in tonight and have the week off so I'll see about heading your way in a couple days.

Tight Lines
    RD

Right on RD. Please dont be mad at me if you get skunked though! Fishing has been slooooow down here. I'd give it another week or so if your schedule permits. And bring some lighter gear to fish the sea run dollies off lowell point beach.
    I was just reading that other thread on kings and people are making some good points about how early it is right now and not basing our opinion of the fishery on one year where they came early and thick.
    And I think its important not to base our opinions solely on last years run which was total crap.
    Seward is a beautiful place to visit and fish, especially on a day like today. See ya out there!

OK, its been 5 days since my last update but thats because theres no news to share. I've heard stories about people trolling and getting one or two in but thats all. Its slow going in Seward but I'm still out looking.

OK BigFish
    I've been watching your post's and waiting for the slug of fish to hit.
    It looks like another few days or so.
    Keep us posted.

RD

I know its been a while since I've updated but there is no King action from the beach in Seward as of yet. I can now officially say they are late and I am getting really anxious to see what comes in. Last year was slow, but by this time my colleague had collected over twice as many samples as I've been able to obtain so far.
    Its so slow that my local contacts here (i.e. the people who have been putting in the hours waiting for the fish) say they will kill me if I spill the beans on this forum that the kings are in. So its going to have to come from someone else. Maybe I'll have to make up an alt or something!
    This job is funny because the fisherman side of me tends to want to keep the secrets (especially when its so f'n slow!) but I need people out there catching fish to get data from! I have received only 11 phone numbers of people to send text messages to when the fishing heats up. As my original post indicates, this is my preferred means of disseminating information rather than post it here for all the Texans to see

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish6025 View Post
    , this is my preferred means of disseminating information rather than post it here for all the Texans to see
    Good thinking, Dont forget to exclude the Californians too