Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut fishing in Ninichik

Default Halibut fishing in Ninichik

I'm heading up to Alaska for the first time on June 10th and was interested in getting out to do some Halibut Fishing. Since I will be based out of Anchorage and with the limited research I did, I felt that Ninilchik was the closest/best bang for my buck. Some of the Charters I'm considering are Ninilchik Charters, Ofishial, Alaska Classic Adventures, Cook Inlet Charters, and Afishunt. I realize that since it's so late my decision my be made for me since some/all of these charters may be booked (looking to go 6/16 or 6/17), but I wanted to get some suggestions or reccomendations on these or other Charters. If the Halibut fishing is that much better in Seward (Profish N Sea?), then I would consider the longer drive, but I would think that Ninilchik would fit the bill. Thank you for your help and I can't wait until June 10th when I make my way up the Alaska for the first time!!

Default seward is closer

I booked with ofishial but i think seward is actualy closer to ancorage than ninilchik ? Call andy at crackerjack hes a great guy

Default Have no idea now

Reipndrag,
    I guess I got spun around. I guess I was thinking of Homer. So which spot is better for fishing halibut? Do they go to the same areas, but Seward trips just take longer to get to the fishing spots? Now I have no clue which way to go...

Default Ninilchik

Ninilchik will give a chance at kings/halibut combo. Seward will give you a chance at rockfish also. Wally's guide service is a good bet and has nice place to stay in Ninilchik. Try him at 398-1993.

Seward is about 1 1/2 hours closer to Anchorage then Ninilchik, give or take for construction delays and such. Really generally speaking, Seward charters run out a long way for prime halibut grounds, 1 1/2 to 2 hours or so. Ninilchik charters don't have to go nearly that far out for decent fishing, and usually fish within 30 minutes of launch. So, either way you cut it, the overall time commitment is about the same. Can't really go wrong with either choice for fishing, but as was mentioned you can target multiple species, so pick the ones you'd rather catch.

Default Ninilchik

It's been a couple of years ago but we went out with Ninilchik Saltwater Charters and they were a first class operation. Also, as previously mentioned, alot shorter boat ride to the fishing grounds than Seward.

I've been fishing with Casa De Kings out of Anchor Point for many years now and have always had a great trip with them. Family owned and guided operation and they are darn good fishermen.

In that time frame you are looking at, you would be fishing for king salmon and halibut.

http://www.casadekings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ihntak View Post
    It's been a couple of years ago but we went out with Ninilchik Saltwater Charters and they were a first class operation. Also, as previously mentioned, alot shorter boat ride to the fishing grounds than Seward.
    Seems they have been sold and one of the new owners has a history.
    There was a thread that dealt with it earlier in the week.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=54620

Default Redman

The Redman's sold Ninilchik Saltwater Charters this winter, Wally Dean Jackson is involved in this operation now. Alaska court records paint a clear picture. Jackson still owes over $100,000 in restitution to people he ripped off selling bogus hunting and fishing trips. Its a shame because the Redman's built a great business.

Default a good outfit

try alaska fishing fever. Paul and Debbie run a great operation. They run two boats and aim to please. Have fun.

Default Go to seward

If you are after Halibut then I would go to Seward. I Just came back from a trip on A Fish Hunt Charters, and I was disapointed. Since its your first time in alaska you might not know about our tides. "Anchorage Alaska boasts the world's second highest tides: varying over 40 feet, low to high tide" This quote was taking from the website-http://www.iit.edu/~johnsonp/smart00/lesson4.htm#highest
    Its not the same tides you may be use to down south. And as for a short boat ride, well we took an hour boat ride from the public launch. It would have been shorter to go out of homer. For your first time in alaskaI would go out of seward. You will be fighting the tides too much in the inlet and you will only get about 1hour of slack tide fishing.

Default More Confused than Ever

Thanks for everyone's comments/suggestions. I guess I need to soul search a little to find out what direction to go. Seward charters tend to be more expensive (because they have to go out further?) but I'm more intereted in going to the better fishing ground. I think the Charter Outfit is more important than the location, and with all of the great reccomendations, my options have increased, not narrowed. Perhaps the ones I listed are not highly regarded since no one has commented on them. I'm just trying to make the best choice possible, since who knows when I'll be back. Thanks again for all of your help. wish me luck!

Default go to homer.

Quote Originally Posted by akhounddog View Post
    You will be fighting the tides too much in the inlet and you will only get about 1hour of slack tide fishing.
    Not always true. You just picked a day with a bad tide bud.

Trust me. When the tide's are ripping and I mean RIPPING, you don't want to be halibut fishing. I would seriously consider Homer though. The difference in catch rate between Homer and Seward is unbelievable. Homer will outfish Seward just about anyday. BUT, do not think for a second that Seward is not a good place to Halibut fish. Seward boats have to run farther, but IMO, also give you a better chance to land other species of fish. (Lingcod, Yelloweye).

Homer has TONS of little halibut holes that produce nice fish. I love Homer. If you do go to Homer, def. look at that tide book. The perfect tide has some current to get the fish up and moving and spread a scent trail, but is also fishable.

Oh, when I say Homer, I mean Ninilchik, as the boats in both places will go to the same areas.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 05-17-2009 at 16:55. Reason: clarification
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Correct

Yes Pike i would agree with you Homer is better than Seward, I said seward becouse he was looking for the closest/best bang for his buck. I have spent the same amount of money and had way better action in seward than on the inlet. However the drive down to homer that time of year is going to take alot longer than the drive to Seward, but yes aztoad Homer is better than Seward, but since we are the discusion of best halibut spots Homer isn't even close to Dutch Harbor.

Homer is the halibut capitol of the world for a good reason and we have top notch yellow eye and lingcod fishing also....the seward charters do well also......make sure you do your homework and have a great trip.........:d
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

That's why I'm on this website!! Hoping to get reccommendations for charter companies out of Ninilchik. Any suggestions?

I went with Ofishial once about 8 or 9 years ago before I had my own boat. The guy had a nice boat, good equipment, and we got all of our fish. I wouldn't hesitate to use this guy again. Seemed top notch to me.
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by boneyardbaits View Post
    Homer is the halibut capitol of the world for a good reason
    Very true. Every day I have ever spent on the water out of Homer I have landed Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by boneyardbaits View Post
    ......make sure you do your homework and have a great trip.........:d
    EXACTLY! BINGO! Greater words were never spoken. Doesn't matter where you go, if you have a bad outfit you'll regret every second of it.

Aurora Charters, Saltwater Safari, they are good outfits out of Seward.

Spirit Charters, Falcon Charters, they are top notch outfits in Homer.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by aztoad View Post
    That's why I'm on this website!! Hoping to get reccommendations for charter companies out of Ninilchik. Any suggestions?
    Well, Homer and Seward aside......since you ask, I've heard real good things about Chihuly Charters in Ninilchik - one of the pioneers of that fishery from what I understand...I'll be giving them a try at the end of this month. Bottom line, though, as you noted yourself, many of the better folks will be booked by now. But, here's the same exact topic asked in March with plenty of replies/reccomendations specific to Ninilchik/Deep Creek:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=ninilchik

Good luck!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    Well, Homer and Seward aside......since you ask, I've heard real good things about Chihuly Charters in Ninilchik - one of the pioneers of that fishery from what I understand...I'll be giving them a try at the end of this month. Bottom line, though, as you noted yourself, many of the better folks will be booked by now. But, here's the same exact topic asked in March with plenty of replies/reccomendations specific to Ninilchik/Deep Creek:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=ninilchik

Good luck!
    I second Chihuly's. They've been in the biz forever and are good people. Lots and lots of outfits have come and gone while they've been rock-solid for as long as I can remember.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast