Thread: Bears and ATV Snacks

Default Bears and ATV Snacks

We purchased some remote property this winter and this weekend will be taking some 4-wheelers out to the property which we will leave there. We are going to build a shed in which to house these and other stuff, but not likely to get that done in one trip out.

It's a given that bears love seats - has anyone had any problems with bears destroying any other part of an atv or snowmachine? What about the tires?? We have a strong lock box that we are going to put the seat in, just wondering what we may encounter on our next trip out!

The propery is in unit 16 - no need to say any more about how many bears are there! ;-)

Moth Balls are the answer.......

Default dried red pepper

A guy I know used to trap and had line cabins. He kept large containers of dried red peppers, and come spring time would liberally sprinkle the stuff on ever ledge and corner.
    He said when a bear came sniffing, he'd get it in his nose, then it would start to burn. Seemed a bear would lose interest in a hurry.
    I have never had a need to try it, but don't doubt him at his word. Be interesting thing to watch though.

Yes they do like tires and also like to bite fenders plus any part that may be oily or greasy. So cover the machine with a blue trap and place fire wood or whatever against it where the tires are. I know that it doesn't seem like much protection and it isn't if they really want the machine they will get to it. But generally they just bite at the tires & plastic fenders as they walk by investigating so just a minor amount of deterrent seems to work in most cases. Some in cage the machine in chicken wire which also seems to detour the critters. Also do not leave chain saw gas or bar oil around as these tend to attract a bear. Hang them between two trees. Do not place them under or on your machines.

How are you getting the wheelers out there? I am assuming by boat because if you are driving them then the least of your worries would be bears. If you can get it in there over land then someone will get in there and get it back out the same way! Beyond protection from two legged critters then the aforementioned tarp and wood would my solution as well. I would go w/ brown though as to reduce the amount of attention that it brought to passer bys.

Default not sure

if anything can make them safe. Do what John said. Might even wire a few cans of starting fluid on trees near the machines. They tend to like to "bite" these cans and seems to deter them. Gas and oil will give them a reason to "investigate". I would do a few other things myself, but won't recommend.

I have seen tourists over the years spray pepper spray around the area hoping it will deter the bears... it don't work, bottom line. Just one thing NOT to do.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

If it were me I would use razor wire, or ply wood with nails or screws sticking out to protect the wheelers. Anything less your 4-wheeler is bear bait. If you did not want to go to all that trouble I would electrify the wheeler with a car ignition coil.

Default electric fence

Go online to tractor supply company and look at the solar powered electric fence and for under two hundred dollars you have a bear fence for a long time that can cover your whole encampment area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    If it were me I would use razor wire, or ply wood with nails or screws sticking out to protect the wheelers. Anything less your 4-wheeler is bear bait. If you did not want to go to all that trouble I would electrify the wheeler with a car ignition coil.
    The bed of nails idea works great for lots of folks out in southwest. Just put a sign to warn any two legged folks. Put these at the access points to your shed and it will greatly minimize the odds of them coming through.

We have been parking the wheeler down by the river,( about 3/4's of a mile away from the cabin ) for 10 years. Never had a problem other than the time one wanted to tear up the seat, fixed the seat and made a metal cover for it. The only other time was when one came upon it and wanted to have fun with the front tires, bite into the side of the dang things, so plugging was not going to work.

I've had the bears almost climb in the boat there, left me a muddy paw print on my seat.

Heres a good one, we left a case of beer down by the boat, and went to town and came back the next day, and the bear found it and opened all but one. I allways wished him a hangover on that one.

Back to the point, they do love tires, so I would make some kinda tire covers.

Default +1 on the tires...

along with anything else rubber, plastic/pvc, jerry jugs, etc.

anything that smells like oil - regardless of what the 'thing' is made of, is also a possible target

rock skipper - that's great - he left you one....

I've had bears bite into two different gas caches placed in prince william sound, had to switch to metal jerry cans hanging in tree's