Thread: Fish finder/ depth finder?

Default Fish finder/ depth finder?

Ok, Can't get parts(transducer) for my Humminbird matrix 10 fish finder, so I guess it is time to upgrade. I got a 20' wooldridge sport. I would LOVE to get a transducer that would work thru aluminum, so i don't have to keep buying transducers!!

What is everyone else using? I run alot on the rivers, but we do the seward silver derby every year, and might try the valdez derby. So I still need some range, but I would really want it to work on the rivers really well. esp when running on step (this might be an installation trick)

Thanks for the help/info

vexilar transducer--google this one and look for the one they came out with to shoot thru aluminum

Default Hull is too thick - wont work very well

Sport Hull is 3/16. Thru hull transducers work only somewhat well through 1/8 or less. My boat had a thru hull when I got it, it worked very poorly.
    I researched thru hulls and there are a few companies that say theirs work through thicker than 1/8 but the user reviews say otherwise. I went with a full blown airmar tip up transducer with paddle wheel so you can see water speed which is what you care about for trolling and may also be very different than GPS speed . Be sure to clean the tip up hinge assembly every now and then from silt and junk. It should tip up with a soft blow from your hand.........

http://airmar.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/a...i=&p_topview=1

Default Thanks tito!!

You know what I am dealing with!! hey on a different subject. If you can get out now and do a run on the big su it is low right now and sssooo easy to see the channel. Just flew over it today, super easy to read!

thanks again for the boat check out!! I went home and started planning. then checked the fish finder was inop, so attention is needed there! like I said can't find parts!!! so I made need to upgrade!
    Thanks again
    Tim

Default Transducer bracket

I made so I can move it up or down as needed and this way it stays with the boat and not banging around in the splashwell. It came with my Garmin unit and I do get a good reading when on step in the ocean, some surface scatter is noticeable. I havent tried it in a silty river yet so done know how well it will work under those conditions.
    The top is held in by a pin w/ about 3" of adjustment to raise it up when running skinny or beaching the boat overnight.
    The bottom is ziptied in place w/ the theory if it smacks something it will break the zip tie and swing up........Only a theory at this point as I havent smacked anything.........yet.
    Last edited by Akgramps; 03-21-2010 at 22:55.

Default 1

more picture.
    Last edited by Akgramps; 03-21-2010 at 22:55.

Default I like it!

i actually found a new transducer and ordered 2!!

I just installed this one from Airmar. Works well so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    i actually found a new transducer and ordered 2!!
    The bottom of my boat is .250 Aluminum and I shoot through it with no problem. Like I said in the PM give me a call.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"