Thread: Last minute whittier shrimp help please

Default Last minute whittier shrimp help please

My family has decided to bring down the pots for another try after a dismal season last year. I have been eagerly studying the charts over the past week and have found a few spots, such as off of Billings Glacier in passage canal, on the backside of decision point heading into blackstone, the left flank of blackstone, or Pt. Cochrane. My parents seem to think that throwing the pots directly infront of the cliffs near the whittier harbor is our best bet, but I know from both studying and past experience that this place produces few, (small) shrimp. Ontop of that, I am our personal pot puller so I would like to experiment with spots a bit at the expense of my own muscle aches. I just don't want to disappoint my parents on trying a new spot and coming up completely emtpy- Could anyone confirm any of my spots or point me in a new general direction? Not looking for a honeyhole here, but it would be nice to have 20-50 decent shrimp for dinner from the efforts of our two pots.

If anyone could help with some information, it would be greatly appreciated.

-Nick,

P.S- Will report back how we do for both fishing and shrimping efforts upon our return, stay safe and have fun this weekend everyone.

Nick,
    I've said it once and i'll say it again, Steep & Deep on a rocky bottom and you should catch'em, try fishing from 450' and deeper. One other thing! get some good fishing pots

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks Steve, thats what I've been trying to look for big drop offs from around 20 fathoms+ to 60-100. How do you tell on the charts which areas are rocky?

Thanks
    -nick

Nick, you need to do 2 things to be successful.

1. Listen to Steve.
    2. Do what Steve tells you.

That's it !!! Pretty simple.

Good Luck,

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Do you have a gps/fish finder? How big is your boat and what is your range?

I could not catch shrimp without my fish finder. I use Garmin's built in Blue Chart, spit screen with the fish finder to place my pots. I follow Steve's advice "steep and deep". While monitoring the depth on my fish finder, I motor toward the shore/cliffs. When I hit my target depth and the bottom is comming up steep, I drop my pot. I continue to motor toward the shore, while feeding out line, hoping my pot will swing in toward the steep part. I am mostly concerned with the steep part, as long as I am within a decent depth range 350ft-650ft. Last year I lengthend all my lines to 800ft. This way I feel safe dropping in 650ft. Last week, in the places I like to shrimp, my pots settled in around 450ft-500ft. On this trip, I used Steve's "shrimp crack" exclusively (except one pot had a bear skull in it), dropped 5 pots 3 times with 4-12hr soaks, 3 different locations (with the various soak times), no pots came up empty (except one, which had 2 octopus in it all night and lots of shrimp shells). No spectacular pulls, but the total catch was around 350. The shorter soaks produced a little less, but the longest soak only caught the two octopus. Our best soak was about 8 hrs.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

so far this year has seen some of the very best catches i have had in the last 10 years. I have been doing good around 90 fathoms, but thats all i am trying so it doesn't mean much. other depths could be just as good or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Thanks Steve, thats what I've been trying to look for big drop offs from around 20 fathoms+ to 60-100. How do you tell on the charts which areas are rocky?

Thanks
    -nick
    don't waste your time loking in 20, start looking in 65-70 and go deeper from there. Instead of the charts just look at the beach and/or if you have a rockfish spot when you catch one look in its throat you might see a shrimp tail sticking out (see where this advise is going ???).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692