Thread: I give up

Default I give up

I have tried and tried to get what I consider to be accurate powder loads using my Lee Safety Powder Scale and I am still not comfortable with it so, I'm giving up on it. Just the other day I tried to calibrate it to zero and no matter what I did the scale would read differently each time. I finally moved it into a small closet with no flourescent lights and no air movement and leveled the table off and repeated the zero calibration. Once I got it to stop at zero, I would simply set it in motion again and the danged thing would stop somewhere not even close to zero. I have absolutely no faith in that thing so I'm going to a digital scale.

Now the reason for this post. I am looking at a Lyman 1500 XP digital scale. Anyone out there use this or have an opinion about them? I'm not planning on mass reloading. Just doing 20-50 rounds per sitting as needed so I don't need much, I just have to be confident that it is accurate.

I have used a PACT for the past 4 years and always works. I also have their chronograph and have sent that back to them. Excellent customer service. but I cannot comment on the Lyman. Good luck. J.

I stick with RCBS stuff but I do like Lee dies. The scale may work if you pull the magnet out of the frame, they are well known to have this problem in some of them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default scale

go green and never look back

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Hmmm, that's good to know

I think that scale is magnetic dampened.

Maybe, someone has already removed the magnet.

I've never owned one, but the ones I've seen, seem to be unstable, and too easy to tip over.

I like Lee Dies alright too. Some of Lee's stuff is good and innovative, but some of it, I don't like.

If the blame thing don't work, I say, Trash it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yeah, I'm done with it. Digital is the way to go for me and once I get it calibrated I'm going to weigh the one round I've loaded and compare it with the weight of one I'm confident of and see how close they are to matching.

Dangit Green, I was all set to buy the Lyman and now you've got me thinking again. One advantage to RCBS is that I'm only a mile away from Boondocks and that's what they stock. For Lyman I'd have to go into Los Anchorage or out to Chimo's

...and it looks like this isn't going to be easy. Looked for a digital scale at Boondocks, SW (Wasilla) and Chimo's. None available. I'm going to call around in Anchorage for any and then just try to order direct.

What a pain in the butt.

Default Digital and beam

As a suggestion, I would get the least expensive RCBS beam scale, the 502 I think and a good digital scale. It is good to check weighed powder between them sometimes as a safeguard. The digitals are not foolproof, even the good ones. I have an RCBS 750 and it is an excellent digital scale but I still like to compare it with ,y old reliable 505 beam scale. Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    As a suggestion, I would get the least expensive RCBS beam scale, the 502 I think and a good digital scale. It is good to check weighed powder between them sometimes as a safeguard. The digitals are not foolproof, even the good ones. I have an RCBS 750 and it is an excellent digital scale but I still like to compare it with ,y old reliable 505 beam scale. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Honestly, even though it is a pain in the butt, i beam scale *every* load. Then again, i dont have any experience in the digitals.

Quote Originally Posted by North Polar View Post
    Honestly, even though it is a pain in the butt, i beam scale *every* load. Then again, i dont have any experience in the digitals.
    Every single load? For bench rest competition... you could talk me into that, but not otherwise! I use the usual RCBS 5-0-5 scale for powder and weigh every 10th to 20th load to verify that nothing running amuck. Before loading however, I do fill the hopper (and I do have a baffle in my UPM) and cycle about 20 loads through it, dumping each back into the hopper. Then I tune in the load until I'm getting the weight that I want, run another 10+ loads through it and double check, fine tune if necessary. By then, I know that given my usual movement of the handle that the powder measure is throwing the same amount each time. It just takes a couple of minutes. I weigh the first load or two and then commense loading and git'r done, only weighing every 10th-plus load along the way. Once the powder measure is tuned in and the powder in the hopper settled, then your measured amount of powder stays pretty consistent. I do have a bright (200W?) halogen lamp mounted directly above the bench that I use for a visual double check to make sure there are no double (!!) or empty loads in the tray. I get a tray of 50 done, set it aside, then run another tray of 50, then start seating bullets etc. I see no compelling reason to weigh every load once I've got the powder measure set up. Using these methods, I've loaded several hundred rounds a night (assuming the brass was de-primed and cleaned on some other night first.)

Brian

I suppose if I had any faith in the Lee beam scale I would probably do that but when the same load of powder reads differently even though I don't even take if off the scale, I cannot trust it at all.

I have an RCBS 1010 and never had a problem with it in many years. I had a digiatal about 15 years ago and the 1010 was more accurate. I weigh everything with it... it ALWAYS checks good on zero and on the 500 gr weight that comes with it.

Default creaping, easy fix

I have a lyman digital and have used it for several years. Well a while back I was building some loads and couldn't get it to quit wondering I called them and spoke with a tech and was advised to whipe the scale down with a USED dryer sheet to remove any static electricity. Fixed and works like new,
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    Yeah, I'm done with it. Digital is the way to go for me and once I get it calibrated I'm going to weigh the one round I've loaded and compare it with the weight of one I'm confident of and see how close they are to matching.

Dangit Green, I was all set to buy the Lyman and now you've got me thinking again. One advantage to RCBS is that I'm only a mile away from Boondocks and that's what they stock. For Lyman I'd have to go into Los Anchorage or out to Chimo's
    Why not order from Midway? Even, if you have to Backorder. I betcha you would save boo-coo bucks too.

For my rifle loads I prefer to weigh charges.

I use an ancient Redding Beam Scale that is Oil Dampened. It's very sensitive, but I've learned to use it efficiently, and pretty fast too. Besides, handloading should be a Labor of Love.

Good Luck
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I build transducers and record engineering measurements for a living.

I don't trust any scale I could afford for myself, at work I have thousend of dallors in equipement and it all drifts it zero some with time and temps.

I use a beam scale RCBS second one from their top model its what I perfer. And I zero at the wieght I am using with check weights. And for rifle I weight every load.

Well, I've ordered an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 from Midway. I saved a ton of bucks (thanks Smitty) by ordering it through them also. The unfortunate part is that it's on backorder and I won't get it until the end of June, if then. If I can ever get the Lee beam scale to work in some sort of consistant manner I'll use it to double check the digital one. Otherwise, I'll probably find a different method to double check my load accuracy.

Maybe my closing my eyes and pulling the trigger on a new load?

I was on Midway USA yesterday and they have digitel scales on sale. One was around half price - only around $30. They have others up to around $400. Might check with them.

Default The reason I went with

the RCBS 750 is that I just see weighing any heavier then that, but if you might eventually get the electronic powder dispenser that the 1500 connects to, then that would be best and necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by green sourdough View Post
    go green and never look back
    Yup, a $15 scale is just that.

Go on egay and buy a previously owned Ohaus, you can't go wrong as they built most of the reloading scales back in the day.

BUT, you should just go ahead and plunk the bucks down on the RCBS electronic powder measure/scale combo. It is SOOOO much nicer than a beam scale. I used a scale for 38 years and can tell you: once you go electronic, you'll never go back.

Get a set of check weights!!!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Lee scale

I have the Lee scale also. If I bump it just right I can get consistent readings. Not very efficient, so I recently went to a Redding beam scale. Picked it up for cheap off a coworker. Haven't had a chance to do much with it yet, but it is WAY easier to set up and much easier to get consistent readings.