Thread: Fairbanks/Anchorage Spring Hike

Default Fairbanks/Anchorage Spring Hike

I wanted to go out this weekend, but I'm having trouble finding anything that is thawed out in the Fairbanks area.

Is there a good overnight hike within driving distance of Fairbanks?

It sounds like there are some good trails down around anchorage, but I would rather not have to drive all the way down there if there is something closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounizzle View Post
    I wanted to go out this weekend, but I'm having trouble finding anything that is thawed out in the Fairbanks area.

Is there a good overnight hike within driving distance of Fairbanks?

It sounds like there are some good trails down around anchorage, but I would rather not have to drive all the way down there if there is something closer.
    Have you done the Granite Tors? I hiked it on memorial day weekend in 03 and it was snow free. It's a long 1-day or easy 2-day hike. Pinnell Mountain is also nice, up the Steese Highway, but I'm guessing with the higher altitudes there would still be a lot of latent snow on the north facing hillsides.

Yes I've done the tors a couple times. Not over night though. That might be fun.

We were planning on doing the Pinnell Trail later this year. I figured it was going to still have some pretty deep snow. We did Bachelor Creek last spring around this time and there was still a ton of snow left. It ended up being very difficult.

I think we might end up going down to Donahoe lake and check out that trail this weekend to see if it's clear enough to hike. If not we will probably head into Valdez and see if there is less snow down there. I'm not really familiar with the trails or weather in that area, so it's kind of just shoot and miss.