Thread: hunting with kids

Default hunting with kids

i am a real big duck hunter and my kids are gettin of the age to go i am looking for a place to take them. i dont have a boat so somewhere pretty active so i can get my kids into it can anyone give me a good location. thanks

North West Alaska has AWSOME bird hunting....Are you here?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by huntinglife View Post
    i am a real big duck hunter and my kids are gettin of the age to go i am looking for a place to take them. i dont have a boat so somewhere pretty active so i can get my kids into it can anyone give me a good location. thanks

IT's far better to hunt with your kids than for your kids. The hours spent afield with your kids will be some of your best memories as you grow older; ENJOY !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

what part of the state are you in

I remember the first time I took my oldest son. A thermos of coffee for me, one of coco for him. He was about 5 or 6...and he got a huge hen with his BB gun . He was as proud as can be....now their both teenagers and still love to hunt. Although, they're not cute anymore.
    Anyway, like geoff said....what part of AK do you live?

Default ducks and kids

I took my (just turned) 3 year old last year and she had a lot of fun. She still talks about it often and can't wait to go this year.

I got her some shooting ear muffs, like you wear at the range and we just we down on the Palmer Hayflats for some pass shooting.

An added benefit, her eyesite is a heck of a lot better than mine. She always spots ducks first.

Default yes i am local

yes i am local and i do alot of my hunting in the flats but the marsh is alot to deal with carrying decoys, gun and the kid will be alot to carry. there is a pond going towards the flats from anchorage on the left right after the first bridge. is that an ok spots where i can take the fam that way they dont have to walk through the marsh??

Default ducks and kids

Ya that is a good spot. There is only one problem with the spot it is really overhunted. I know whenever i tried to go hunt that little pond several times there was allways somebody else in there hunting. Honostly the fowling up there is so great that pretty much anywhere else you can find a good source of standing water you are going to do good with decoys. Also not to far from that pond if you go go right you can set up on the river and there is a lot of birds that fly into there. Beaware though that the tide does come in. And be careful wadding out there.