Thread: New longbows

Default New longbows

I have 2 new bows ready for final tillering this weekend. One is an "experimental" silk backed bow the other a raw hide backed holmegaard.
    I could post pics later if folks would like to see them?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Here is a pic of the riser and limb of the Holmegaard.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

And one of the silk backing.....ya I know the picture dosent show much but it gives you a general idea of what I'm doing.
    BHA Member

A work in progress and it looks like they're going to be good looking bows. More pictures will definitely be needed though.

I'll post more as I finish them. Next step is to trim the backings and shape the risers. The Holmegaard is till drying but I plan on working on the silk backed bow after Gunther turns in for the night.
    BHA Member

Thumbs up

Looks good Rick! What wood are you using and what are the specs you are going for?

I had a group of boy scouts over here last night so I have 5 hickory and 2 red oak board bows roughed out and risers drying in the basement. Hopefully we will get through the tillering/finishing/string making in the next few weeks.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Both bows are Brazilian redwood with a little lacewood or red oak added to the risers for flash. They are both raw hide backed now. Silk maybe strong as all get-out but it doesnt glue very well and frays, snags and generally misbehaves if you so much as look at it wrong. The longer formerly silk backed bow has a target weight of 35-40 pounds, draws 37# at 28". The holmegaard had a target weight of 55-60, right now I'm at 63# at 28", might leave it at that............it is smoking fast!
    BHA Member

The holmegaard on the tree. Note the loooong static tips on the bows belly.
    BHA Member

Here is a pic of me shooting the Holmegaard. The level of hand shock is a bit high so I'm going to thin the static tips, reducing weight in the last third of the limb can have a dramatic effect on hand shock and bow speed.

Once the limbs are thinned I'll do the cosmetic stuff and finish the bow. BTW that is my first flemish twist string on the bow. Decided after several attempts at a double looped string that a more "traditional" single loop tied on with a timber hitch looked better.
    BHA Member