Thread: Anchor River Kings

Default Anchor River Kings

Anyone seen any kings in the Anchor yet?
    Thinking of trying tomorrow. How is the water, muddy?
    Thanks!

According to ADF&G website, as of May 14th the cumulative total is 5 fish. The cumulative total for 2008 on the same day was 6. I've been to 2 openers and they were pretty bad. 1 of those years, the river was so blown out it literally looked like chocolate milk. Looks like it will be pretty bad fishing this weekend. If you have the fishing itch, go for it dude! Goodluck!

was there the other day you will have better luck elsewhere. Kasilof is open for bait know so I would give that a shot.

Default bad ?

What can be bad about camping and getting your gear all tuned up for the next couple weeks. I am pretty sure that we won't hook up this weekend - but over the next couple weekends - there will be one day when I will hook into a dozen fish.........and that makes the slow weekends all worth it.

I am going to fish Anchor on Sat and then float the Kas on sunday.

Most folks will help you out if you watch and ask some questions. I am sure that there will be a pile of people out this weekend - but if you see a black dodge with a hitch hauler (little black extender for the hitch to carry more 'stuff') or my Tipi stop by and say hi and I might be able to give you some pointers....I am pretty new to King fishing - but I am a quick study - - and did a lot of watching and some catching too.

I didn't say that camping would be bad...... like I said, GOODLUCK!

WOW!

20 day season on the Anchor!

Five 3-day weekends plus the mid-week Wed opener all the way thru June 17.

I still remember the days back when it was only a 6-day season... Sat and Sun for only three weekends.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

My friend hooked 2 kings and landed 1. About a 18-20lb hen. Good way to kick the season off. Water looked great from pictures.

Does anybody know how many kings were caught this weekend on the anchor? and if it should be good memorial day weekend?

Default better tides

Better tides this weekend - lots more water coming in - 30% more. Still a little bit early, but maybe the big tide will push them in.

Default Tides..

I've always been taught that the size of the tide is inversely proportionate to the numbers of fish entering a system during that period. Typically, the large tides don't bring in alot of kings. Seems backwards, but hopefully the data backs me up. Someone help me out, here, please.

Quote Originally Posted by frydaddy View Post
    I've always been taught that the size of the tide is inversely proportionate to the numbers of fish entering a system during that period. Typically, the large tides don't bring in alot of kings. Seems backwards, but hopefully the data backs me up. Someone help me out, here, please.
    Too many variables... Water temperature and flow greatly affect fish movement in relation to tides... Also, ppl don't realize that the weir on the Anchor R greatly decreases fish passage and may lead to fish searching for another unblocked channel and they may head back downstream.

Default tides

I graphed some of the tides and wier count/didson numbers and can see no correlation - - too many variables me thinks.....

Isn't the didson just a couple feet downstream of the wier? If they went back and forth it seems the counts would be off....as far as for those fish that actually make it to spawn.

They are located in the same spot. Didson and a partial weir is used until the water drops low enough to be able to completely weir the river.

Some fish were coming in last night for sure.... I went below the slide hole and hooked up a 25 lb beauty on the fourth cast. Afterword i watched kings milling about and pushing up the river. The other guy that was around hooked up on plug cut herring.

Default fires

Did they shut down the firepits for this weekend?

Default Flossing

Did you flip him up or put some stink bait on the end?

Baranof bomber, orange, size 4.