Thread: Controlled burn in 20A

Default Controlled burn in 20A

I wish I hand the nerve to push for a controlled burn out here in 16. I know it would help but when everything you own is in danger it is just to scary.
    Chuck

Default controlled burn????????

IMO the only "controlled burn" that any crew in this state has been able to preform yet is only controling the torch used to start the burn. After that they can't "control" diddley!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

no kidding the last one for us in 20 back in 96? cost me a ton. as they used my cat to help fight it. and brought it back with about 12,000 in undercarriage, damage that was undisclosed to us.

the concept is great, and does work. but nothing like a bon fire to get people stirred up and doing stupid things.it will go or it will REALLLLLLY GO>>>
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

They need to do a bunch of prep work and get volunteer groups involved with it to help defray some of the costs. Part of the benefit to the volunteer groups should be the creation and designation of new trails for access. Ultimately they should put in simple effective fire roads and clear cut fire breaks well ahead of time. The plan and time line should be set well in advance and made publicly available. A big step would be to lose some of the air hazard BS that goes along with any fire. We need to legislate some sort of probability calculation and set a "watermark" for the risk. When the fire risk hits that watermark we burn! If you need to leave the area due to respiratory health then consider yourself lucky that you got to plan it rather than have it happen suddenly. We are kidding our selves if we think it is not GOING to burn, we should certainly use our resources to influence where and how much.

Default I say great!

Controlled burns are one of the best management practices there are. They put off controlled burns for years until conditions are right. Controlled burns have been practiced for hundreds of years. Old brush/tress get burned to get new growth. Are there dangers, of course, but beneficial for alot of animals.

Default Burn

I'm not sure how much growth has to be burnt to measure and study ! In 2004 about a million acres just north of (Fairbanks) this desired controled burn area burnt for months. Looks like if they want to study a burn and it's aftermath this one should answer a lot of questions and save a box of matches as well. There is a uncontrolled burn near Homer right now just go study that burn.
    You don't have to burn an area to study a fire; just go where the fires already are or have been. It's no secret that fires increase moose browse and improve winter range. It's also proven that fires damage the feed desired by caribou and damages their winter food supply. So we'll help the moose and hinder the caribou survival. I'M NOT sure that much human interferrence with nature is a good thing.
    A burn is only controlled until the first match lights and goes out. Then it's a forest fire that takes millions of dollars to bring under control. Heck all we need for some rageing fires is one good lightning storm and "the race is on". These would divide the availability of firefighters to respond to "none controlled fires".
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Vince you should of charged either BLM or Dept of Forrestry for your $12,000 loss on the cat they were renting from you. They would of prob. wrote you a check no questions asked! They are not shy on dishing out cash for fires. Looks like the one in Homer is just about a Million dollers and its only been going for a few days.

Bravo: those fires are studied both to understand what led to them as well as what effects they will have. The problem with your assessment is that you like so many others are looking at a 3 dimensional problem in 2D. You are against human interference to start a fire but FOR human interference to fight them.... We are constantly fighting these fires and they are "random" and cost a great deal of money. The intelligent thing to do would be enact some risk mitigation programs. Controlled burns should definitely be part of that.

There is another option as well, we could open the land to logging in areas where the industry would be viable. Then we could let them mitigate fire risk, build rudimentary roads for future access and improve habitat all for a profit...

Default good points by all

Right now there is a controlled burn on Ft Wainwright range, supposed to burn 2,000 acres. Folks in Fbks are complaining about the smoke.

After the massive 2004 and 2005 fires in the interior it is extremely hard for ADFG to pull off any controlled burns. Because of the fears raised in this thread and many don't want to deal with any smoke.

Inre this proposed burn in the foothills of the AK range, Ronny is right that we already know what burns do to increase moose browse, the timeline of that etc. We don't need more studies on that. But this proposed study in conjunction with this proposed burn isn't intended to re-study what we already know. Rather, it is to 1) increase winter browse this winter and 2) to measure the efficacy of small controlled burns as it relates to increasing browse for the following winter and how it may impact the health and productivity of this particular moose herd.

I'm all for it. I'd also be for the much larger controlled burns this herd really needs in its winter range. But the problem with that is the same we have in Unit 16, a lot of private property residences that could be impacted if/when things get out of control. Vince knows all about that <grin>.

If anyone wants to get ready for a "controled burn" I published an article in Backwoods Home Magazine in the spring of 2007. I can't remember the month but they probably have it in their archives.
    Chuck

Default Burns

I've got no problem with controlles burns !! We already know what effects they have on animal habitat and the benefits. JUST don't pee on my boots and tell me it's raining; if you want to burn for habitat just say so.
    My only concern is CONTROL, who's in control. WHO'S financially responseable for damages if it gets out of control ? If in the middle of this CONTROLLED BURN we experience a lightning storm and have another fire like the one in 2004-2005 will there be enough responders to fight fires in different locations in the state ?
    I know that's a lot of concerns; but the last Chicken/Steese fire in 2004 got very close to my cabin and I know how I felt. I wouldn't want to put anyone else in that precarious position if it wasn't a necessitiy.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default burn it!

As long as conditions are right, let it burn. I know of some controlled burns that they have held off for years because conditions weren't right. There is always a possibility of a fire getting out of control and they try to keep this to a minimum. If it is in an area that is remote and doesn't affect any towns, let it burn!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Bravo. the 2004 fire was the Boundry wolf creek fires...

try 6.5 millon acers. we were evacuated for over a month out on the Elliot.

Mark have not noticed any smoke from wainwright.?????

likei said buring for food is a good thing for the animals. but dang. lets do it right...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here