Thread: Estwing Campers Axe thoughts...

Default Estwing Campers Axe thoughts...

Has anyone had experience with one of these? Your thoughts on usefulness, durability, etc... Thanks

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Anyone had experience with one of these? Your thoughts on usefulness, durability, etc...Thanks Ron
    Wonderful tool, too the chagrin of the "Monster Brown Bear" behind every bush, often my Estwing is all I carry, no firearm.
    Durability...???? Are you kidding....????? It is one piece steel, head and handle. It will wear like iron, ha ha ha. I own the Estwing long Axe and the short Axe, and the long handled one looks new, I never use it, as the short handled one works well. I mostly use it for blazing new trails. Or re blazing old blazes. My only complaint is, I wish the hammering head was wider, if you use it on felling wedges it wrecks the felling wedges.

Love-it, love-it, love-it. great for butchering Moose also.......

Default Use them alot

It is my primary axe for trapping, etc. I have the long one and short one. The long one is currently sitting up near Boundary, AK where my daughter shot her first bull last winter! Bounced out of the sled and was too tired to go look for it! They are nice axes. They will bend fairly easy if you use them for a pry bar!

My dad got one about the time I was born and has used it for years for brush cutting, trail making, and meat chickens. I know he still has it. The handle has been rewrapped. I got one for myself when I moved out.

It will never replace a good quality double bit axe for real work and it will never replace my Woodsmans Pal for busting alders and devils club, but I still think every one should have one. They last forever so you will get your moneys worth out of it! They are perfect for all things medium, I don't like using it on springy alders and honestly it would be miserable to use to cut up a large birch tree! For the average spruce tree though it is fantastic and does a great job around camp. It is definately something that would serve well permanently strapped to your wheeler.

I've got the long version and I agree for "real" axe work (mostly done with a chainsaw these days) it falls short and the lateral strength is not the equal of a stout hickory axe but for a "do-all" type of axe I think they're pretty good. I keep it in the pickup or on the sled all the time and I'm not afraid of doing my best to break it- best $45 I've spent on an axe.

Ron,

Take a look at the Gransfors Bruks small Forest axe. Incredible stuff man. Been made the same way for a long time. I got that one for float trips and also the Scandanavian axe by Granfors as well. I have never seen anything like it. Top shelf stuff.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I've had one for years and use it around camp. One thing you have to be carefull about with the short one, is splitting or cutting, it is not as long as a full size and its very easy to miss what your aiming for and wind up taking a chunk or cutting a bone in your leg. Know of several reports of this happing.

Gun Runner

I have the long handle one and it ballances out my belt. Handgun one side and the axe on the other.

I pack my Eswing ax on the front of my wheeler and it stays there until winter. It comes in handy for doing small chores and chopping firewood at moosecamp. For $45 I don't think you can find a better ax for all around utility work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Ron,

Take a look at the Gransfors Bruks small Forest axe. Incredible stuff man. Been made the same way for a long time. I got that one for float trips and also the Scandanavian axe by Granfors as well. I have never seen anything like it. Top shelf stuff.

I have one of each the Estwing is good for brushing trails but comes up short when it comes to splitting firewood. My Forest has pretty much replaced the Estwing for everything. Gransfors put out the best axes going. You do need to watch out for sticker shock. I think Barneys carries them.
    Chuck

Default Gransfors Bruks

Yeah, the Gransfors Bruks are high end, and high priced. But after using one, I am a bit spoiled to other axes. Below is a picture if anyone has not seen them. They are made in Sweden if I am not mistaken, but the hickory comes from North Carolina. These are hand crafted and the initials of the craftsman is on the side of the axe. Not your ordinary hatchets and axes. That is for sure. You could shave with this thing.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Don't put it in your foot.

I put one into my foot when I was helping clear some brush around Onion Portage. It was one of those oH $^I% times that I messed up. It was not the happiest moment in my outdoor career. The blade was sharp enough that I didn't really feel much. I got it to stop and I was out on the Kobuk the health nurse was out hunting too. She was a seamstress and she used caribou sinew to sew it up. I have a teeny scar where it went. I gave away that one but I bought another one later. No problems with the new one.
    Every Alaskan should at least have one for things that are unexpected.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default My favorite part about Estwing campers axe.

When Im cutting firewood it the only axe I carry. I use it to limb dead white spruce and it works like a charm. But the best part: When I have the chain saw work done and all the rounds are spread out ready to be put in the sled or truck the little campers axe becomes a handle. Drive it into the rounds and it sticks nice and tight. Therefore you have a handle to hold onto. My back has thanked me every day since I found that little trick. Cuts my wood hauling time in half.

I agree for the big work get a chain saw out and for clearing brush, Sandviks are the ticket and they are a little safer too.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    I put one into my foot when I was helping clear some brush around Onion Portage. I gave away that one but I bought another one later. No problems with the new one.
    What was the problem with the old one ?

KRS

stimpy

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I have the long one and short one.(
    Me, too. I also carry a Meyerco stainless machete. There's another excellent tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Tool Fail

A very old Alaskan point of truth. Whenever a tool fails get rid of it.
    I gave it to the guy I was working on the trail with.
    I did it with a savage 340 in 7mm Rem when the plastic button on the bolt failed. I traded it for a 44 Rem blackhawk. If a tool fails get rid of it.

A similar truism is that if the tool saves your life get two of them.

I do believe that their are limits to the second truism.
    I get henpecked enough with one wife(I do love her dearly). My guess is that if my wife saved my life I wouldn't be able to survive two of them.

Sincerely,

Thomas