Thread: Your Comments on Hunting

Default Your Comments on Hunting

Hi all,

What has been your experiences with hunting around the Fort Yukon area? Fishing? Thanks for the info.

Ron

Not sure about what you are asking, but I would wonder why you would want to hunt or fish around Ft. Yukon. I would focus my efforts on what I want to hunt & then look for the where. Leave the local areas to the locals. I would think the locals have picked it pretty clean by now though.

Looking at property, trying to keep options open...that kind of thing.

Ron

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey ron there is SO much up by Ft yukon... are you looking in Ft Y. north south. porky pine river area? access is all boat or plan in to FT y. it is one of those areas ... the local accept you or they don't...

fishing in the Yukon it self is like fishing a mud puddle. you find the clear waters that dump into it and fish there. it is a heavy trafficed area in the summer for interior hunters. who jump off in Circle and head down river.

there is LOTs of nice country between circle and ft Y. and the porkypine rive just below it.. the opportunites are there if you know what your looking for. though they MAY NOT be on the spot of the river....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Ron,

Moose densities in that area are pretty low. Nothing in the way of caribou until you get a ways up the Porcupine system at the right time of year. Plenty of black bears though and black bear hunting is very good. Plenty of waterfowl in season. Salmon runs on the Yukon are down. Fishing in the tributaries for pike and grayling is good. Good beaver population too, and beavers are very good eating and good hides. Beaver season has been extended on either side of freezeup and breakup if you have a trapping license, and you can take them with rifle or bow.

Above Circle (Circle to Eagle), same low moose densities, much less waterfowl than in the flats, but good beaver and black bear pops.

All along the Yukon and in many of the tributaries you are gonna deal with a lot of other hunters during moose season, boat hunters and float hunters. Not so much other times of the year. Rare to float the Yukon and not see at least one black bear swimming across. Hope you find a good spot to start a new life up here,

Talk to the guy who owns Yukon Air in Ft Yuk. See what he says about the area. Talk to the troopers who handle that area about crime there. Talk to teachers who work there during the school year.
    There is a woman from Ft. Yuk who writes books. She wrote one about growing up there. Her name is Velma Wallis and the book is, Raising Ourselves. Read it.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for the info. The land is on the Porky River System. Just looking for a spot to call home.

Thanks Again.

Ron

I have found moose density numbers are meaningless. The reason I say that, is you will find 80% of the moose in 1% of the land. If an area has 1000 sq miles and one moose/ sq mile there will be pockets of 50 to 100 moose or more.

Look at the hunting reg. for unit 25, itís a one bull moose area, with two seasons Sept. 5- 25 and in Dec or Feb depending on the area. If there was a problem with moose density in unit 25 the biologist would make it only one season and antler restriction.

What other issues would there be near Ft. Yukon?

Ron